Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How to make the tv and computer work?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Matthew Bryson, Mar 9, 2004.

1. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Hey, I've recently moved way out into the country. We can not get cable TV, and of course, that means no cable modem. DSL is not available out there. So we must either rig up an antenna for TV and use an old fashioned 56K modem connection for the computer so that we can enjoy our 2.5 fuzzy channels and ultra slow downloads, or else explore dish options. I know nothing of these little satellite dishes for TV, and don't they have that type of thing (dish) for internet connections now too? What are the options - what can anybody tell me about any of it. (which company is good, who makes you buy the dish and who doesn't, how it all works - anything) Thanks.

2. You might want to check out DirecTV's website (www.directv.com). I believe they also serve as an ISP for satellite internet called DirecPC. I'm not sure what rates are, or if they require you buy the dish, but I think you can get a package deal with them for both TV and PC for a pretty low price.

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

DirecTv satellite internet is very expensive for the amount of bandwidth you get. $69.95 per month for 368kbps. Of course, if your only other alternative is 56k dialup, then it might be a good value for you.

4. Look into Road Runner cable for internet.

5. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001

I just took a look at Road Runner - I don't think that'll work. I live way out in BFE, just past the middle of nowhere and darn near to the edge of the Earth. I can not get cable out there. The cable company doesn't go past "the river" and we're several miles past the river. It's looking like Direct TV for television. Still not sure what to do for internet. :meh: