how to make wood pickup covers?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by bound, Mar 12, 2004.

1. bound

Dec 28, 2003
    Jersey, Baby!
    I'm thinking of trying to make covers for the six I'm working on,
    but i'm not real clear on the the details. The cover ecloses the sides, not just the top, correct?
    One solid piece of wood carved out, or is it made like a wooden box?

do you remove the metal (I'm using Bart pickups) cover, or does the wood go over it?

About how thick is the top and sides, usually?

Thanks all, you guys have been a great help, although I've learned so much in the short time that i've been here that the bass i'm working on has become a prototype, and i'm jsut going to start a whole new one when i'm done. :)
  2. I did my first set of covered pups with my last bass and I really like'em.

These were jazz pups so I removed the cover and measured them for digitizing. I tweaked the patterns for both the cover and it's matching cavity. I printed patterns from the computer and attached them. I used the paper patterns to make some router patterns. Then I routed the covers from the same stock used for the body. Thicker sides and a veneer thickness top. I've got a method for making them adjustable but I'm going to draw up an illustration ifor showing you - just thinking about how I would describe it makes my head spin.

I'll get another post up directly
  3. Here's some drawings that illustrate what I did in the photo's

The first panel is what we are going after

The second is how the cover is shortened after it's first carved

The third panel shows how I made some captive nuts to hold the adjustment screws

The final panel is an exploded view of the entire system
  4. Here's the second set of illustrations:
  5. And here's some photo's of the solution in action:
  6. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    So, you glue the "lower frames" in place, and stuff the void with foam to force the pu & cover agianst the bolt heads?
  7. _BubA_

Feb 2, 2004
    down south
    i learned something new today :hyper:
  8. 6 string demon

6 string demon

Mar 23, 2003
    hambone any chance of either posting those pictures again? or emailing them to me at i am interested in making wenge pickup covers for bartolini soapbars sound possible?

and do i remove the casing of the pickup, and how do i do this?

any help woudl be great, thanks.
  9. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    please re-post the photos..............t
  10. FaBu-

Jan 16, 2004
    Yeah, please do that!
  11. Matou

Mar 30, 2012
    Hi, new guy here

just writing to ask you to re post the pictures, please, your tutorial look very interesting and helpful