Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How to Make Your Guv'nor Sound like a RAT

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Petary791, Jul 27, 2005.

1. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    So i've been listening to lots of Tool (Matt Till comes in here :smug: ) and i've noticed lots of awesome distortion. I did some research and figured out it's a RAT. I decided to mess with the settings on my Guv'nor to try to get the Trebless RAT-like sound that JC has, but it wasn't working. I just tried cutting the highs all together, and it just sounded like poopoo. I decided to look on Ebay for a RAT, and to my dismay, the good RAT is no longer made, so I had to improvise. I had my Guv'nor on the settings I normally have it on (Gain: 2 o'clock; Bass: Cranked; Mids: 1 o'clock; Highs: 2 o'clock) and I decided to move my wah around to find some cool settings. To get the RAT sound, this is what you do:

1. Have the settings on your Guv'nor (or other distortion pedal) on what is stated above.
    2. Move your 105Q (or any other wah for that matter) just so the wah is barely on and it's very bassy.

Try it, and tell me if it works for you. I think it sounds real good. I would get some clips, but my computer is being real lame.

Rock on.

2. Flea666

Flea666

Apr 21, 2005
    Lichfield, UK
    im not being nasty or anything, but you should try and find your own sounds, i once wanted to sound like flea and try and get all of his pedals, i have owned 2 of them, but got rid of them, after trying other pedals and finding out that they were better. but flea is still my biggest influence, but i dont copy his equipment.

3. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    My Gov'nur sounded like a RAT when he took money from fitness magazines.. :bag:

Anyway, sounds like ti would work... do you just hold your foot on the wah at the same position the whole time? Did you remove the return spring on your wah?

Another option would be to use a loooper or other system to blend clean and effected signal...

4. Higgie

Higgie

May 31, 2005
    London, England
    He's not really copying his equipment though, he's using combinations of other pedals to find the sounds. Quite innovative if you ask me. Not flaming or nothing, just stating my opinion.

Hey Petary791, remember me? Calling you a bastard for having an Original Guv'Nor and a 105Q? :p Well I should have both within the next week or so :D So i can try your method and report back. Good job mate.

5. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Flea666: I don't get what you're saying.

bassman314: I didn't remove anything, I just keep my foot on the pedal the whole time. I just push it forward a tiny bit and keep my foot on it.

Higgie: Thanks for defending me. Yes I do remember you calling me a bastard, i'm honored. That's awesome that you're getting your pedals, i'll hook you up with some nice presets. :smug:

funkedupbass: Yep, i've been on that site, but hey moving a wah a tiny bit is better than spending $100+ eh?

6. Flea666

Flea666

Apr 21, 2005
    Lichfield, UK
    im che non sono nasty o qualche cosa, ma voi dovrebbero provare e trovare i vostri propri suoni, la i ha desiderato una volta suonare come la pulce e provare ed ottenere tutti i suoi pedali, ho posseduto loro 2, ma eliminano loro, dopo avere provato altri pedali ed avere scoperto che erano migliori ma la pulce è ancora la mia influenza più grande, ma io non copiano la sua apparecchiatura.

7. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Did you notice that I do not own a pedal that he has?

8. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    All I can say is... oww.. *L* I move too much to do that, anyway. but hey if it works, go for it!

9. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Haha, I was afraid someone would say that. It's really not that bad, how often do you use heavy distortion for more than a minute?

10. bassman314

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    *L* depends on the song..

there's a couple I like to growl the whole time!!!

11. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    What is this *L* you speak of? :eyebrow:

12. Sprudellio

Sprudellio

Oct 16, 2002
    Germany
    Yeah that's also my reciepe for Timmy C's sound:
    Heavy distortion (gain almost 4:00, bass 3:00, mid 4:00, treble 9:00) followed by just a tiny bit of wah. I use my Maxon AF9 with sense all the way down.

Currently lookin for a used 105Q for foolin around.

13. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    +1

14. Craggsy

Craggsy

May 24, 2005
    Someones been using google translation :)

15. Flea666

Flea666

Apr 21, 2005
    Lichfield, UK
    shhh

16. Higgie

Higgie

May 31, 2005
    London, England
    No problem mate. I'm into the same thing. Trying to get tones I've heard with the equipment I've got. It's fun :) Recently made a big breakthrough with the Sir Psycho Sexy tone. Check the "Flea's Sounds" thread, 2nd from last post on the 2nd page. I've made it sound even more similar since posting that recording :) And yes, Some presets would be very nice indeed. :smug:

17. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    So you're using the 105q basically as a low pass filter (for those who didn't know). You can get this with most filter pedals especially the fx25(b), so you won't have to stand there holding it down. Basically you set the filter not to open a similar concept of what you are doing with the wah. Personally I think the Guyatone br-2 works best as a low pass filter since it is massively bassy anyway.

Hope this helps

18. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    i remember someone (i think it was n*joy) had a keeley modded rat that had the bass frequency enhanced. he posted some clips and man it sounded awesome. but hey if you are happy with the setup as it is, why change?

19. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

I WILL KILL YOU! TOOL IS TEH Su00())90)(XXXX :spit: You will find no use for your Tool CDs in the land of the dead... or at least the land of the badly bruised... bruised by Tool hata Mattrix Von Tilltoven Deluxe.... to the extreme!

Just get a Rat.