1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

How to market your band to theaters. Anyone done it?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by PauFerro, Nov 16, 2017.

1. PauFerro

PauFerro

Jun 8, 2008
    United States
    A band I started back in November got picked up by a director of a theater. It was a fabulous experience, and a real milestone for me. They hired us for the singer, but it was still cool to have a green room, people doting on us with food, standing ovations, and having it be entirely about the music and not just "background" or dance music like I normally do.

I have been wanting to now how to approach other theaters in our area about having our show come to their theaters. I was wondering if anyone has experience with marketing a band to a theater -- the kind where patrons pay a fee to watch the show, and all eyes are on the musicians/show. Tor example, who is a the decision maker? Are there gatekeepers? What kind of media should you provide?

Anyone with experience who understands this, please let me know.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2017
  2. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    Ask the director of the theater that you played to refer your band to his colleagues and send them pics and video along with his/her recommendation.

PauFerro likes this.
  3. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    There is most likely a Director's association. See if you can advertise in their directory, newsletters or on their website.

PauFerro likes this.
  4. PauFerro

PauFerro

Jun 8, 2008
    United States
    Stumbo -- keep those ideas coming! Great stuff I hadn't yet thought of.

Stumbo likes this.
  5. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    Since you had a successful show already, leveraging that, IMO, is the way to go.

Maybe you can get a list of all the theaters within ____ miles, the ownership and board of directors and market directly.

If they are non-profit, see if you can find their IRS Form 990 online. It's a public document and will give you much of the information you need.

6. Ekulati

Ekulati Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2016
    Richmond, VA
    I've done a little theater work in the past although I'm guessing under different circumstances (hired pit band member, got it word of mouth from being a decent musician who reads). I'm confused when you say your "band was picked up." What does that mean? Is it some kind of multi-band tribute show? Or are you the "orchestra/pit band" for a musical? Is your band the headliner, and someone just thought it would be great to feature a band in a theater setting? Does your singer have a "role" in a play/musical?

For pointers, just what others have said, how did you get this one? Simply rinse and repeat...without more background details, it seems you may know more about how to do this than we here on TB.

DONZI97 likes this.
  7. PauFerro

PauFerro

Jun 8, 2008
    United States
    To answer your questions....our singer plays in a band. The bass player is on the board of a non profit theater. He suggested the singer do a show to the director. The director checked out the singer at a wine bar where she was doing a duo act and hired her. She hired my band to back her up through me. She said her regular band couldn't cut it so she hired my full band instead. It was not jazz...except maybe three tunes. It was all motown and show tunes with some ballads thrown in. It was billed as the singers name and her quartet. I did most of the night on upright bass with a few tunes on electric bass. So I can't rinse and repeat as it fell into my lap. The main learning point is that the board of directors are also a group to market to... Its about relationships.

It was not a tribute band or orchestra situation...we are just a jazz quartet and sometimes quintet who had hired this singer in the past. She got the theater gig and then hired us.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2017
  8. Ekulati

Ekulati Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2016
    Richmond, VA
    Ah, thank you, that helps to clarify. Not enough detail in your OP, ;).

Going forward, my experience (theaters, sometimes with the word "dinner" before) want highly structured "shows," not just bands or the random singer (exceptions, like yours of course, depending). Shows are often tributes, either to one band/artist OR simply to a genre or time frame. Obviously more variety involved in the latter.

You need a full-on package and an up and running "show" so the theater decision makers can see what the product is. Many times the "show" is booked through an agent who has a good reputation with the theater, a good roster of shows they can offer.

So one angle may be that you don't promote it yourself, you get onto the roster of a good agency. Maybe even approach the agency first, with your professionalism (which you seem to have already) and ask them what sort of show they are missing on their roster, then put that together.

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 10, 2021