1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How to Master the Bass Guitar?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by blankstare77, Aug 7, 2007.

1. blankstare77

blankstare77

May 19, 2006
    What elements must you practice to become very proficient at bass?

Learn notes on the neck
    Do tons of scales
    Read off etudes from books

Is that it?

2. All helpful, but you left out

Groove

No books for that, you've just got to figure it out.

3. DocBop

DocBop

Feb 22, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Also forgot most important learn to play music. Don't focus so much on scales and etudes you sound like scale sequence when you play.

4. When you find out let me know. I say learn from your mistakes and dont repeat them. Listen to lots of music, try to figure out songs you know, Learn the theory behind what your playing. Explore the fretboard, learn to read music.

5. feel!....when you dont even have to think about what your playing and you just feel where you want to go and your fingers take you there ..... than your still only good haha. i dont think you can master somthing you can allways get better and there is allways some one better than you and them and the other person

6. uethanian

uethanian

Mar 11, 2007
    a professional trombone player once told me "you know ur proficient at your instrument when you are not held back by the technical aspects of it."

so just get good at making the motions, and eventually you'll be able to just play music.

7. you dont

8. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    Join a band, the best you can find and play with them a lot.

9. owensea777

owensea777 Banned

Jun 16, 2007
    Well, your title asks how to master a bass, which I don't know about. But your post asks how to be proficient. I think proficient means competent and experienced. So learn everything you can about music theory (esp related to bass) until you know it by heart, then practice it until everyone considers you experienced. Then, you are proficient.

Edit: actually, you asked about elements to practice. So I'll actually contribute: time signatures, reading staff notes, key signatures, chords, and chord progressions within a key.

10. MacNilly

MacNilly

Jul 27, 2007
    Opinions will differ on the definition of "mastery."

Myself, I would like to be able to sit down with musicians from any genre and be able to improvise something that sounds good to my ears. I'd like to be able to play blues, reggae, rock, metal, ect.

The reason? Because that's the most fun and it's good to feel confident when jamming with people you never jammed with before.

In order to achieve this you would need to have a good ear for music and a great knowledge of your instrument of choice. Good ear can be developed by transcribing music from records and knowledge of your instrument can be developed by learning theory.

11. cowsgomoo

cowsgomoo gone to Longstanton Spice Museum

Feb 8, 2003
    UK
    no-one is ever a master at any instrument... this is all just some BS concept we adopted after watching too many kung fu movies

just remember you're an artist: a specific kind of artist known as a 'musician', and a specific kind of musician known as a 'bass player'...

but ultimately you're an artist, and your job is to express yourself... learn your vocabulary and techniques, and develop your ear to the best of your ability, then go out and say something about yourself through your bass

forget about 'being a master', try 'being unique'

12. pixelpounder

pixelpounder

Aug 26, 2006
    Chitown area
    Very well said +100000
    Proficiency towards artistry should be the goal!

13. BellBottomBlues

BellBottomBlues

Feb 21, 2007
    New York
    Endorser:Fender User:Rotosound, LaBella, Ashdown, Lindy Fralin
    How to master the bass guitar? Well you can never truly master something, there is always something else new to learn.

I think to become reasonably proficient, you'd need to train your ear, be able to play many different styles of music, be able to sight read, know your fretboard, be able to create, and be able to replicate on your bass the sounds you hear in your head.

Technique is not everything though, and passion in your music shines through. This is why a bass player with 2 busted strings playing with passion is always better than the Jaco wannabe