1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How to measure DC resistence of pickup

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by akrein62, Oct 28, 2006.

1. akrein62

akrein62

Nov 24, 2005
    Plainfield, IL
    I have a multimeter, which is half the battle. The other half...where to place the positive and negative lead to measure the DC resistence of a pickup. Can I do this while it's still on my bass or does it have to be removed first.

Thanks,

Andy

2. Yes you need to unwire the pickup to get a good true reading on the DC resistance. Then your set you meter to Ohm and touch the red probe to one end of the coil and the black probe to the other end.

Attached Files:

3. akrein62

akrein62

Nov 24, 2005
    Plainfield, IL
    A belated thank you.

For some reason I can't see the attached pic. Must be a local setting since I can't see then on other threads.

Andy

4. bassksun

bassksun

Mar 5, 2004
    Las Vegas,NV
    After finding this thread I measured my Ppups one reads 8.56k
    the other reads 9.25k. Is it the higher the number the deeper the tone? Or whut?

Thanks for the help.

5. bassksun

bassksun

Mar 5, 2004
    Las Vegas,NV
    Thanks! This is going in a P/J config.

Glenn,
    I think it has something to do with string vibration :confused:

But the onboard pre-amp seems to solve the problem

Thanks for the info

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 16, 2021