how to minimize neighbour hassle

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by snowdan, Mar 19, 2006.

1. snowdan

Feb 27, 2006
    well, i used to play DB at my parents home (they love music and i could play as loud as i wanted) or in my former flat, in a house with only university students. i could play there without problems, too.

now i have relocated to another flat and i do not know how the neighbours will react. in order to give it the best possible start, i would like to take measures to shield them from my DB sound.

any suggestions? some dampening mat below the bass or something? adding something to the door?

your input is appreciated!
  2. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Best thing to do is to go knock on the door and introduce yourself. Tell them that you're a bass player and practice at home, but are concerned that the noise will bother them. Tell them to call if the sound bothers them and you'll try to work your practice schedule around their's.

I've never had a problem at all when I start things out on the right foot with neighbors.
  3. bassist14

Oct 17, 2005
    hello snowdan

there are several threads about this here. one was: "HELP MY BASS IS TO LOUD !" located in "setup& rapair"
    and one "Apartment Dwellers..." in miscellanous

maybe this willl help you
  4. snowdan

Feb 27, 2006
    well i have now gone through most of the relevant threads.

i will buy one of these rubber mutes. then i will see what i can do to isolate the endpin from the floor, and how i can dampen the relatively thin apartment door ( 1 room app).

as a last resort, we have a huge basement where could take my DB and practice down there.

some 1st hand real life experiences of how to isolate the endpin from the floor?
  5. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Have you had a problem with your neighbors? Why fix something that ain't necessarily broke?
  6. dhosek

May 25, 2000
    Los Angeles, CA
    What I'll say is that some neighbors are just jerks. I had one downstairs neighbor who'd call and complain about the noise when I wasn't even home.
  7. First off, as discussed in other threads, I agree that communication is the best solution.

I was wondering, though, has anyone ever tried placing the endpin on an Auralex GRAMMA pad? Just curious.