Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How to mod my SR 305?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fl4tliner, Jul 18, 2003.

1. Hi Dudes!
    I played my SR 305 for a long period of time now, and I think it's time for a 'small' upgrade. I really like this instrument, and I really want to keep it in use. I heard about changing the bridge and pickups, so I ask:
    What parts may I use, and what have I got to do to make this an instrument from hell (yeah, I know, sounds freakish, but I REALLY like this thing). I'm full of thanks for every kind of help.
    Cya!

Fl4t

2. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    With a log splitter?

Seriously man, don't waste a bunch of money upgrading something that you will end up with a ton in, and still no resale. If you want something different, sell it and pick something else.

You will thank me in the long run.

3. raised_fist

raised_fist Guest

Dec 16, 2002
    I actually have this bass as well, and decided that I was going to upgrade it. I was just about to slam on a badass bridge, and throw in a couple of EMG's when I realised I didn't actually enjoy playing it that much. Obviously, that was just me, so if you really like it, then go for it. I however, found the string spacing just too tight and the sound way to dead.
    I have always said that one day, when I have unlimited cash and time, I will take one of my old basses and do it up extreme... the problem is, even after I have done all of that, I will still reach for my standard Spector:)
    Different tastes though, so if you like it that much, then go for it.

4. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    ANB nailed it. I would upgrade to a newax rather than spend money on the one you have. Look into an 800 series or Ergodyne if you are serious about moving up in the Ibanez line.

BTW I used to live in Hessen too. Butzbach to be exact. Went to school in Giessen.

Mike

5. Thanx for the replies dudes! Hm, maybe I really should invest some $ in a new piece of wood. I really enjoyed playing Ergodyne basses or BTB, maybe they are a good choice. I just felt comfortable on the 305, but it really sounds kinda dead sometimes. However, thanks! :)

6. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Sand the neck, and defret it yourself. No cash involved, and if you do a good enough job, it'll be nice. Sanding the neck does ALOT on its own, makes the bass feel 1000 times better.

_Ray_

7. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Try not to splinter the fretboard if you do a home defret. Its easy to do with pliers, and hard to cover up with paint. It kills value. I agree with ANB, stick with Ibanez if you like the feel, and upgrade models.

8. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Good mod suggestion #2: sell it now, don't do anything. Get the cash for it, save up more, but a good fiver. Go Peavey gear!

_Ray_