1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How to modify/upgrade my Bronco

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by beauxdacious1, Sep 29, 2016.

Tags:
  1. beauxdacious1

beauxdacious1

Sep 7, 2016
    I see a great deal written about modding the Bronco bass. I would like to give it a try, but I don't know how it's done. Can anyone school me?? I'm willing to spend a few $$, but not a great deal. Your inputs would be greatly appreciated. Thanx

2. Warpeg

Warpeg Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    Well, the first step would be to figure out what you like and dislike about your bass. The next step would be to search Bronco-related threads on TB; read the threads and see what fellow TBers have done to their Broncos. After that, you should know what modifications (if any) you want to do to your Bronco.

3. beauxdacious1

beauxdacious1

Sep 7, 2016
    Thanx, if anyone has the time, I'm kind of looking for some step by step "how to". My goal is to "make a silk purse out of a sow's ear", total upgrade. Thanks again.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2016
  4. Step 1: Buy bronco bass, probably used from guitar center for like $90.

Step 2: Replace tuning machines, you will likely have to ream the holes as I believe the stock tuners are smaller than most upgrades.

Step 3: Replace the bridge if so desired.

Step 4: Order/make a pickguard that looks better and has a route for whatever pickup you are going to use to replace the stock pickup.

Step 5: Install new pickup with wiring harness from Kellingsound on ebay or an active preamp of some kind to match the pickup.

Step 6: Install new strings to taste

Step 7:???

Step:8 Profit?

If you are short on cash step 2 can probably wait if the stock tuners do the job, same with step 3. A lot of people use pickups from Guitar Fetish; an electric guitar pickup will fit in the stock cutout and if you get a rail pickup you don't have to worry about strings lining up with the pole pieces. Step 4 is optional if you use a Strat sized pickup. Step 5 is optional if you are okay with the stock wiring.

Aberdumbie likes this.
  5. beauxdacious1

beauxdacious1

Sep 7, 2016
    Thanks a lot, exactly what I was looking for. I really appreciate it!!

6. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's

I just upgraded my Bronco bass with a Dragonfire Hot Duo Rails pickup (from eBay) and it made a HUGE difference and it was only $20! Much more bass-like sound across the strings and much hotter output. I did not feel like spending $60-90 for a Seymore Duncan, etc. pickup on a $100 bass, and the Dragonfire did not disappoint!

I had already changed the strings to LaBella Low Tension Flats - (they are close to the famous T.I. Jazz Flats for 1/3 the price), done a really good setup, filed some sharp fret edges and installed a Mute toggle switch. This thing is really nice now and totally giggable. There is really no need to change anything else.

7. Aberdumbie

Aberdumbie

Jan 22, 2016
    South Carolina
    Rummaged around on the web a bit and ran across this. Looked like it could be pretty helpful for you.

Bronco Bass mod project