1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How to not seem like a hired gun

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by pklima, Oct 1, 2010.

1. pklima

pklima Commercial User

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Karoryfer Samples
    How do you avoid giving the audience the impression that you don't really care about the band or its music, and you'd be just as happy playing with some other band? Whether you're doing a sub gig, playing with a new band, playing the last gig with a band you've quit or whatever...

Just thinking about this for no particular reason... I like to think I'm pretty good at "faking sincerity" at times like those.

2. Same as a hooker does.... smile and fake it. Then collect the money. :D

3. Smile. Make love to that bass. That'll do it

4. jnuts1

jnuts1

Nov 13, 2007
    i love playing so any gig i take i usually am happy about. well i am also happy because EVERY sub gig pays!

5. joelx817

joelx817

Aug 13, 2008
    Dallas, TX
    Take gigs you'll be happy with... If you love the music, it'll just come naturally. Don't sweat it or overthink it. Live in the moment and the music.

6. rms2

rms2

May 27, 2008
    VA
    Pretend you're Will Lee, he's always there for the music. I've seen the guy play just about every style and he's always groovin' and smilin'. (granted, he get's hired to play with the best people)

7. pklima

pklima Commercial User

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Karoryfer Samples
    Yeah, smiling will help a lot. That's probably the biggest thing, even if you're playing sad songs.

I suspect playing a few intros will make an audience think you're "really" in the band more. I mean, if a song starts with a bass intro then it seems like you're really an integral part of what's going on and not just along for the ride and following everybody else.
    I honestly don't think so. Looking enthusiastic and sincere comes naturally to me even when I don't like the music. Other people love the music they're playing but come off looking like they aren't interested in it at all.

8. Jon Moody

Jon Moody Commercial User

Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Manager of Brand Identity & Development, GHS Strings, Innovation Double Bass Strings, Rocktron
    This.

Knowing the music better than the regular guy is usually a pretty good sign too.

9. Bloodhammer

Bloodhammer Twinkle Twinkle Black Star

Jul 7, 2009
    Shreveport, Louisiana
    Looking like you don't care is the first step to looking cool. ;)

10. I pretty much look the same if I'm playing an original or the Joker for the 2nd time in a night. . . sincerity is the least of my worries! :eyebrow::p

11. raymondl3

raymondl3

Dec 10, 2007
    USA
    Act bored, text between songs, and play sitting down.;)

12. groooooove

groooooove Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    for the money he gets, i'd convince myself to be in love with any type of music.

and he gets to play some cool stuff, too.

13. Don't worry about what you look like. No one pays attention to the bass player anyway.

14. Bloodhammer

Bloodhammer Twinkle Twinkle Black Star

Jul 7, 2009
    Shreveport, Louisiana
    Not unless your mates stick you up front like my last band did. We had a diamond shaped layout with me at the front point, the guitars behind and to each side of me and the drums directly behind me. Don't ask me why, that was just how they wanted to stand...

15. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab HELIX user & BOSE Abuser

Feb 11, 2004
    Texas
    "When you go on a gig, you have to remember that it's a privilege to play any kind of music -- even sitting in your house by yourself. Music is this wonderful, universal language. It's meditative and spiritual. A lot of people get caught up in the frustrations, and they lose it, the way a preacher loses the calling. When you pick up an instrument, realize how blessed you are. It doesn't matter whether you're playing for 50,000 people or by yourself. I'm not saying I'm a guru of this stuff. It's just that when I pick up a bass, I'm conscious of how much it has given me, and I try to take that onstage with me wherever I go." - bassist Darryl Jones

Suppose you play in a top 40 band and you’re sick of playing Celine Dion's “Because You Loved Me” for the 500th time. What if Celine called you tomorrow to join her band for a sold out year of shows in Vegas? Would you like playing the song more? If your answer is yes, you’re not doing your job as a bassist. “Because You Loved Me” has the same chord changes no matter where or for who you’re playing it, and that framework should be your focus. Your role is to make that song sound and feel as good as it possibly can every time you play it. The audience should never factor into the way you approach your performance or the energy you put into it.

http://www.ricksuchow.com/press-group-80.html

Plenty of good stuff at the above link.

Since I'm numerically called "an old guy", I look at any performance as a blessing AND it IS the most fun you can have IMO.

16. Jon Moody

Jon Moody Commercial User

Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Manager of Brand Identity & Development, GHS Strings, Innovation Double Bass Strings, Rocktron
    Thank you for that.

Many times in my old band, I'd bring up something like this when they'd complain about playing the same couple of originals (although I'd use Paul Mccartney and "Hey Jude" as an example), even though they were audience favorites.

17. Jeb

Jeb

Jul 22, 2001
    USA
    I liked this because it is kind of how I think too. I liked Schlyder's post because it made me laugh (and good humor always has a thread of truth, thats what makes it funny).

But Johnny Crab's post made me think a little harder.

Good thread!

18. Raymeous

Raymeous

Jul 2, 2010
    San Diego
    Play with your eyes closed!

You could be asleep for all anyone knows (boring set list) but everyone will think "Man he is so feeling it right now. He's in the zone!"

Also not to get all depressing but there is some truth to the "Play every show like it's your last" mentality. It might be. Just ask Cliff Burton. If you don't know who he is/was (hard to believe here on TB) Cliff was Metallica's original bass player who died when their tour bus rolled over one night between shows.

19. bassandbeyond

bassandbeyond

Aug 28, 2004
    Rockville MD
    Affiliated with Tune Guitar Maniac
    Whenever I perform, I remind myself that the poor audience has to listen to every note that I play! :eek: They are innocent bystanders, with no choice or control over the music.

At least I have some control over it. This helps me to stay focused on striving for my best.

20. pklima

pklima Commercial User

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Karoryfer Samples
    Plus it makes it seem like you know the songs and don't have to look at everybody else to see what they're playing!

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 6, 2021