Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How To Obtain That Justin Chancellor Tone without buying a Wal

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by DaS HaaS, Feb 11, 2004.

1. DaS HaaS

DaS HaaS

Feb 11, 2004
    Sunrise, Florida
    Endorsing Artist - Ampeg, Ernie Ball
    I get pretty good tone from my Cort Curbow bass, and Digitech bp200 pedal. But I WANT MORE! Any recommendations on obtaining this angelic tone? I am using Elixir strings which are pretty bright but I need more tone. Perhaps some eq tips for my GK 400RB head or on my bass...thanks in advance :bassist:

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Do you use a pick? And its hard to really say which tone because he uses different effects but ive found the bp200 chorus to be decent for say, 46 & 2.

3. DaS HaaS

DaS HaaS

Feb 11, 2004
    Sunrise, Florida
    I do use a pic. Im looking for the tone like in, say...schisim. I found a good patch on the digitech website for 46 and two which i think sounds pretty close, but im looking for the tone in schisim :bassist:

4. Electricmayhem

Electricmayhem

Dec 18, 2003
    NH
    What are the settings you're already using on the BP200?

5. DaS HaaS

DaS HaaS

Feb 11, 2004
    Sunrise, Florida
  6. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    first off, justin uses a flanger for "46&2".

use a pick, boost your mids even out the lows and highs, maybe a tad more lows than highs. ive always found individual pedals are better than the processors. also youll need a slew of tone shaping effects (boss sp-1, sansamp bddi, boss eq, demeter preamp...etc) youll need to slighty distort the tone you, give it a subtle overdrive and be very aggressive. you should have it.

7. E.O.M.

E.O.M.

Dec 7, 2001
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Second off, Justin does not use a flanger for Forty-Six & 2.

Third off, Justin uses a Boss CEB-3 Bass Chorus for Forty-Six & 2.

8. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    pwned

9. sunburstbasser

sunburstbasser

Oct 18, 2003
    A lot of it is in the attack, I think. My Reverend can do a pretty decent Chancellor tone, with a pick and the same head. I'd say boost your low mids, and turn your contour to straight up, and add presence as desired. Also, add some high end on the Curbow, and maybe try using the slap switch and messing with the gain dial on the back. I think he uses Ampeg amps? I might be wrong there.

10. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area

My recipe for Schism: Always my Bleach Blonde Thumb (all that maple does wonders!), with all knobs flat (12:00) on both bass and amp, except the Bass knob in the parametric EQ on the amp head is at 3:00. Voila. (that's always my amp setting and I run all my basses flat unless I need to EQ better to the space I'm playing in.)

Strings are stock Warwick Black Label rounds. And I don't use a pick on that song, myself.

Touch of Chorus always helps Chancellor it up, but I *think* Schism is chorus-free.

Man I love(d) Tool.

11. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    schism is chorus free.

to address earlier i own both the ceb-3 and bf-2. i have tweaked with those knobs on both pedals for 2 years. the flanger is more dead on than the chorus anyday. i used to think it was a chorus myself and i wouldve killed over it. but a buddy told me it was flanger and sure as **** he showed it to me and bang....

12. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    TOOL is COOL....

Pardon me but what is the "bf-2"...is that a flanger...any links to one on any site???

13. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Well....I have a sweet CEB-3, just like Justin uses for sale. PM me :D

I don't have it for sale anymore.

-Mike

14. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    Nah...I have that also...I was wondering what the other gizmo is..the bf2...a flanger??/

15. Doesn't he crank his tone?
    his attack sounds hard also.

16. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    bf2=flanger. his attack is very hard when he needs it.

17. iunno

iunno

Dec 16, 2010
    Weren't Schism and Forty Six and Two done on a Stingray? I think he uses unusual picks as well.

18. Sam Marshall

Sam Marshall

Nov 2, 2011
    Austin, TX
    It seems like he picks over the bridge pickup mostly live, but I get a tone closer to his picking over the neck. Ditto with the guitar parts.

Strange. I found a burned copy of 10,000 Days in the middle of the street a few days before the album went on sale. Every song was there! Including the dumb Lipan Chant or whatever.

19. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    Sansamp BDDI will cover a lot of ground for this.

Saturate your low mids so the extra presence is not irritating, maybe use a little compression to that end as well.