Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

how to order a custom bass...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by john turner, Oct 24, 2000.

1. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i have recently added a section to my website where i talk about how i ordered my doubleneck, with pics of the drawings that i sent to bill, and how the body and top design were made. check it out :D

http://lordonly.net/lojtbas32.htm

2. furtim

furtim

Dec 12, 1999
    Boston, MA, USA
    Hey John, I didn't know that the one neck was fretless. I had always just assumed that you were completely insane, since the two necks seemed to have the exact same strings on them. Hehehe. =) That's actually an extremely cool idea, ya know. Plus, the end result LOOKS so fabulous. I wish I could afford something like that... or even just play well enough to do it justice. =D

3. alx564

alx564

Jul 31, 2000
    Emmaus, PA
    Just on the subject of your doubleneck. I always wonder how much that baby cost. Must have been tremedously high.

4. I looked at the paper and saw "1800 deposit" and I just backed away.. lol.. I only have $240! ahhh

-Willz

5. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    hee hee :D

thanks for checking it out, everybody. the list price of the instrument was around US$11,000, but i paid a lot less than that, since i already had a few of bill conklin's custom basses at the time.

6. $11,000. MY LORD. HOW DO YOU SLEEP AT NIGHT?!?!?!

John: On top of lots and lots of money.

:D :D

7. alx564

alx564

Jul 31, 2000
    Emmaus, PA
    Wow. Thats a lot. What do you do for a living that you can just spend 11,000 on a bass, even if you got it cheaper then normal. It couldn't have been that much cheaper. Well I'm sure only the famous John Turner could get your moneys worth out of that thing. By the way great site.

8. JHMAVRO

JHMAVRO

May 29, 2000
    hooksett NH USA
    Dude, you're one sick MoFo. BTW, hows the recording going????

9. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    thanks, alx564

and remember, i got it for a less than the $11,000 list price. lots less :D

10. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    recording is coming along, slowly but ..well slowly. i'm actually getting ready to record one of the guitarists right now(brian). he has some 8 string steel guitar to do.

11. I took a look :)D) a few weeks ago at your site. Cool doubleneck report. Did you design the site? I guess you did, with your job and all.
    My estimate, some time ago, for the doubleneck was $8000. I wasn't far off.

Man... 8 string guitar.. the guitarist too? Don't tell me he plays a double neck 8 string / 16 string too!

12. snfjtu

snfjtu

Oct 3, 2000
    John-

That bass is monstrous, but it looks really cool. Anyway, I like the site. The album covers look cool too, but where are the sound samples? I click on the song titles and no sound bytes...really eager to hear what Lord Only sounds like - prog is my favorite music BTW.

13. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    hey, wow, guys! thanks for checking out the site. oh, and i should have some sound samples up in the next few weeks. here's an old one.

http://lordonly.net/Mp3s/tobit1.mp3

this is from a while ago, when we were writing the song, we have since rerecorded much of it. mix is pretty lame too (drums too quiet, bass a bit too loud), but it's the best i have right now :(

14. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    he plays 8 string lap steel - sorta like the ole pedal steel that steve howe used to play on some yes albums, like relayer and going for the one.

check it out...

http://lordonly.net/lobkgtr3.htm

15. snfjtu

snfjtu

Oct 3, 2000
    Wow, man, that sounds awesome! Please mention when the cds are released, cuz I want to buy both of them. Almost makes me want to go blow 11 grand that I don't have on a custom Conklin...j/k...but it would be so cool to play something flashy on one of those doublewides and watch people gawk. Personally, I like the bass being up in the mix like that, but of course I'm biased towards bass :D Well, I'm outta here for now!

16. if i had a $11.000 worth of bass in my room I would lock it up and put bars in front of my window!! :eek:

:D

so... could bill make me a custom bass worth of.. somewhere around $100? :rolleyes:

17. snfjtu

snfjtu

Oct 3, 2000
    but he might sell you some sawdust if you upped your bid to $125

18. nah.. I don´t think I want to... but if YOU want I can sell you sawdust for $125 for 10 lbs... I´ve got plenty!

19. snfjtu

snfjtu

Oct 3, 2000
    Is it custom...don't want any of that mass produced factory sawdust...nah, nevermind, i'll stick with good ol' Conklin custom sawdust! :D

20. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    hey, thanks, and also, the doubleneck did _not_ cost me US$11,000, that was the list price. i got if for a lot less since i have so many of his basses. still, though, US$11,000 is the price that i've heard him quote to people.

oh, and yeah, that conklin sawdust has some great low end. :D

[Edited by john turner on 10-29-2000 at 12:08 AM]