Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How to order a Warmoth?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pc, Mar 30, 2002.

1. pc

pc

Apr 4, 2000
    Montreal QC
    I'm thinking about build a Warmoth P, but I don't have a clue on how to order it...

I don't know if, for example, I order a pickguard, the screws are implicit included or if I have to order them separately. Or if I order a rear routed body the back plate comes together...

A Warmoth habituee like Nino had some poblems with the nut... Imagine a guy who never ordered from them...

In other words... How specific should I go?

2. pc asked

I'm thinking about build a Warmoth P, but I don't have a clue on how to order it...

I don't know if, for example, I order a pickguard, the screws are implicit included or if I have to order them separately. Or if I order a rear routed body the back plate comes together...

A Warmoth habituee like Nino had some poblems with the nut... Imagine a guy who never ordered from them...

In other words... How specific should I go?

I've never ordered a pickguard from Warmoth, but have ordered just about every other piece of hardware - and screws are generally sold separately. If you order a rear routed body it comes with the plate.

Call Ken Warmoth. He'll tell you anything you want to know - they're pretty friendly people.

allan

3. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Tell them exactly what you're planing to do & that you have no parts. Thay are very customer friendly & their service it top notch.

A peice of advice. Be patient. I've been "not so paitent" on a few pwoject & i made minor mistakes that I kick myself in the rear for. IMO, one of the hardest things will be cutting the nut. it's a blank & it's large. it need to be filed or grinded to fit the slot before it needs to be cut. Also, depending on the pickups & electrinics (active or passive), this might be alittle difficult.

Good Luck.

4. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    I agree with what Nino said, having done it a few times before. If you tell them what you do have, they know what you need, and will help you out.

A big ol' amen on the cutting the nut process. Go slow, be careful and think about string slot diameter. Good luck!

5. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I need to correct myself. If you're ordering a Fender style neck, the nut you will get fits into the slot provided but it's very HIGH & it is alot WIDER than the width of the neck. Sorry. :)

6. I've built a couple of Warmoth basses myself. To me, cutting the nut was the one thing that wasn't worth the hassle and worry about screwing up--besides, I had no proper files for the job--so I just had my local repair guy do it. The cost was $20 or so, many, many years ago.

Mike

7. Somehow I managed to do the nut on mine with a very small screwdriver and got it perfect the first time. It was a graphite nut so it was very easy to scrape out the grooves.

The Warmoth guys will answer any questions you have. And, yes, you will have to order the screws separately. Screws come with the bridge, tuning keys, and pickups however.