1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

HOW to order custom bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by AudioOUTRAGE, Dec 23, 2006.

1. AudioOUTRAGE

AudioOUTRAGE

Aug 27, 2006
    yes yes go to a dealer!

but what exactly do they want to know from you? i dont want to come unprepared.

to my understanding, i just have to know all the specifications like wood for fingergoard, neck wood, piguard, headstock...etc. so are they just asking what you want?

2. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
    Make sure it is a discussion between you and a dealer/builder. Many will want to know what style you mainly play, etc. and what you are looking for tone wise. Make your requests known and listen to what their suggestions may be, they do this for a living and know how to build. Take their advice while still remaining true to your goal.

Also, if you have a couple of different folks in mind and talk to them all before you make your decision.

Good luck!

3. Tryxx

Tryxx Sputnik Forums: Bass Mod

Jun 1, 2005
    Hurst, Texas.
    I've sent emails to multiple builders that I've learned of from this board. All have them have been excellent with email correspondance, I'd give that a shot!

Mind if I ask what you're looking in to?

4. AudioOUTRAGE

AudioOUTRAGE

Aug 27, 2006
    making a MM Stingray HH. black headstock, white body, black pickguard. wood will probably be maple and rosewood

5. Kenny Allyn

Kenny Allyn

Mar 25, 2006
    Memphis
    Having a custom can be a very rewarding experience … You can take several different approaches from modding an existing bass,(I did this to Spector NS-4 with the help of a local repair guy I know) … to picking your own parts … http://www.warmoth.com/bass/bass.cfm … and either doing it yourself or working with a local builder.

It also depends on what it is your looking for, although I personally have yet to work with him I hear good stuff about Nino … http://www.valentibasses.com/ … he is also a fellow TBer. It helps to have a good idea of the general direction you wish to go.

:smug: ... I have been working with Bud LeCompte on a design http://lecomptebass.com/ he's great to work with.

6. fullrangebass

fullrangebass

May 7, 2005
    Europe
    Do your homework beforehand. If you are not aware of most parameters (woods, construction, design, pickups, electronics, preamps etc) and how they affect the sound, then it's all about "mojo" and "magic touch" not physics.

Once you read a lot and you figure out the direction you are heading for, then find someone knowlegdable (luthier) who goes that way eg I have found my "holy Grail" in Dingwall basses but if I wanted to try a Singlecut (non-fanned-fret) set-neck I'd turn to Ken Lawrence or Benavente. Find someone who has both the knowledge and experience to pull through the project and provide a valid project.

7. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    If at all possible, try to get your hands on basses by a few different luthiers so you can see and feel the differences between them.

8. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Ditto! Bud's da man!