How to pack a bass away for 4 months

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by RickenbackeR, Nov 6, 2000.

1. RickenbackeR

Mar 28, 2000
    Hello everybody.

I have recently aqcuired an awesome job in Ottawa for 4 months (January-April 2001). I am not planning to take my RIC with me because
    a) I want to take a break
    b) It's a big pain in the a$$ to take it

So my question is, how do you guys recommend i pack my bass, which i value more than anything else i own?

I have the case, so im using that of course. I also have the cardboard box the case came with.. im using that too. I was thinking about leaving it underneath my bed, so noone can steal it while i'm away.

Well, my question is not that silly, actually... i don't know if i should leave the case lying horizontally.. or on one side, or standing up? What's the best position so that the neck doesn't warp or anything like that?

What about the strings, should i tune them down a little to reduce the tension?

I know 4 months isn't that long.. but you have to understand.. i'd die if ANYTHING happens to my ric.

Thanx a bunch.. please post lots of replies on this!!

2. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Just send it out to me...and I will take VERY good care of it...:)
  3. I have a 1951 fender "P" bass its been in a gig bag for 49 years still playes great. It was never tuned down. I would worry more about theft.
  4. Nails

Jun 4, 2000
    Austin, Tejas
    I would probably tune 2 strings down very little. That way it's not under the constant tension for the 4 months, but it still has some. Though this isn't necessary as bassdude also mentioned. And I think it doesn't matter how it lays, but I would do it horizontally, playing side facing upward.
  5. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    I think that it's ok to keep the neck under some tension, as long as it is protected in a hardshell case and out of harm's way temperature and humidity-wise. That's why Fender has a "closet - classic" series.

Will C.:cool:
  6. RickenbackeR

Mar 28, 2000
    Hey guys, thanx for the info.
    I think im gonna leave as i was planning to.. lying horizontally under my bed.

Deynn, im only worried that you will take care of it TOO well :)

7. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    LOL:D...You're all too right!

Enjoy your stay up there in the north country...and I agree
    that your Ric should be prefectly fine under the bed...
    Lonesome....but fine....:)
  8. Unless the bed breaks, and squeeze the case.. Not very likely though ;)
  9. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Hard cases could take a box spring and mattress dropping on them from 5 inches, no problem.

I would have thrown in my 2 cents, but you said Rickenbacker. The necks on those warp like there's no tomorrow. But no matter what happens to the bass as it sits safely under a bed, someone will be able to tweak or adjust it. Store it and don't worry aboot it while you're in Canada, eh?