1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How to pack a speaker for shipping?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kurosawa, May 28, 2012.

1. I bought a cab on eBay and the seller wants to know how to pack it.

"According to the January 1980 Catalog, the 115RH-150 measures 27 3/8" X 27 3/8" X 12 15/16", and weighs 70 lbs."

If I was doing it, I'd wrap it up with 2 or 3 thicknesses of cardboard from a refrigerator box, then cut holes so they could grab the handles, then tape the heck out of it.

What would you do? Or how have you done it in the past where it worked?

2. scrimjer

scrimjer

May 20, 2012
    i have seen guys mounting the speaker. to a piece of plywood to keep the cone safe so it would be where the grill cloth would be if you know what i mean. it will add weight but it will protect it.

3. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Inactive

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    I save all the foam inserts that come with them when you have one shipped to you. These inserts must be available somewhere.

4. Thanks! OK he says he'll see if he can find a speaker box at a music store. It is probably about the size of a 410 I hope. But it will not fit with the inserts. It is bigger. So I asked him to slip a piece of scrap paneling into the box in front of the speaker.

5. Home improvement centers have foam panels used for garage door insulation. Use that and cardboard to make wall thickness around the cab of at least 2". Be sure to place "Do not drop" stickers on all sides of the carton.

6. Thanks, I passed it on to him!

7. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Follow the instructions of the shipper (fed ex or whoever) down to the letter, so you guys can get your money if it does get damaged. It isn't really about the best packing job, it's about complying with their instructions, so they can't say "well, you didn't follow our packing instructions so we're not going to pay you for shipping damage".

8. And get shipping insurance.

9. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I'd do what B-string suggested.

As a buyer I'd be really "unhappy" that someone asks how to pack something after the fact. If they don't know how, they should plan on having it done professionally (but I've seen lousy packing jobs by both FedEx and UPS stores).

Make sure they insure if for the full amount, as $100 is the default from UPS and FedEx Ground. Insurance from both is cheap and there's no reason not to take it.

Good luck, we'll be keeping our fingers crossed!!!

10. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Follow the shipper requirements, otherwise damage will not be covered by insurance. Most require two inches of polystyrene foam with a heavy cardboard wrap.

11. Thanks! I went to reply to him and he'd already shipped it, speaker in one box and cab in another. That ought to work, given the overengineering of the MM cab.

12. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Famous last words. This is what happened when UPS gorillas dropped a properly packed cab off a loading dock:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Oh man! That must have been some fall. It's hard to imagine how they could have managed to tear apart that driver. If there's a will, there is a way I suppose.

Experience has taught me to use FedEx over UPS.

14. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Ouch!!! I've known magnets to snap off but never the frame to be destroyed like that. I guess the magnet was firmly attached to that one!

15. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Again, keeping fingers crossed!!!!