1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How to paint a flamed maple body ?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Papersen, Apr 29, 2006.

1. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    Hi. I´ve recently bought a Warwick. The original owner decided to paint the body black, to match the headstock (he did a pretty good job but I dislike the color).
    After watching a printed Warwick catalogue I´ve decided it to be Burgundy Red with glossy finish.

I took the bass to a local guy (I define him as an "instrument repairer/painter", not a luthier), who had already peeled it off, confirming the body is flamed maple.

Now the question is: should he dye the body wood or paint it before applying the finish, to achieve better results ? It might sound obvious to some, but I really don´t know.

Any help is welcome

BTW, here´s a pic of the original color.

2. Greenman

Greenman

Dec 17, 2005
    Ontario Canada
    Bonus!!!!! You stripped a black paintjob and revieled a flame top. Now get creative.. dye it and burst it. :hyper:

3. There are also Tamiya translucent paints, they come in a jar or in a spraycan but only in a few different colours like red blue green orange e.t.c.
    i used the green to 'burst' my olp stingray
    here is a link: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=224677&highlight=meanie
    :hyper:

4. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    dying the wood directly will give you the most lightfastness to the grain, and give it that extra bit of shimmer that figured maple has when dyed directly. The figure will be much more prevolent also. But you must remember, when dying the wood dirctly, you MUSt dye it darker than the intended final color. The dye will bleed into the lacquer as it is applied, and lighten a shade or two, especially after wet sanding. You could also coat the body with sanding sealer, and then spray a few coats of tinted lacquer before doing the clear finish coats. either way, if done correctly, it should look outstanding.

5. Greenman

Greenman

Dec 17, 2005
    Ontario Canada
    Hey close by person, good info I'm in the same situation.:)

6. Papersen

Mar 22, 2002
    Thanks for the replies.
    I had the chance to see the body unpainted last Sunday.
    Unfortunately it`s not figured maple, just std maple. I`ve decided to paint it anyway, and should be ready by the end of this week.

I could also see that the body has some nicks that have been filled. There are about 4 of them. Each one is a tiny circle of about 2 or 3 mm. I`ll post pics once it`s finished.

Thanks again.

7. Papersen

Mar 22, 2002
    Well, here´s the bass finished. Believe me that the guy did an AMAZING job. Pictures don´t do justice and light conditions aren´t the best, but just check it out.

8. Phil Mastro

Phil Mastro

Nov 18, 2004
    Montréal
    For plain maple, it has some nice flame going for it! Looks sweet!

9. Linas

Linas

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago
    very cool, much nicer looking than the black.

10. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Wow, that is sweet.

11. Yeah that looks great... and like it's got a pretty good flame on it too!

Covering that up with black paint... BLEH!!! :D

12. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    very nice. should be a hot player for many years to come