1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How to paint and finish an "Artistic" paint finish?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by kristlik, Feb 20, 2008.

1. kristlik

kristlik Guest

Nov 22, 2006
    Lincoln, NE
    I would like to have either my daughter or nephew paint the body of a bass for me . . .

(different design and colors; but similar concept as below--minus the pickguard paint)

layla.

it would be on an alder P-bass body. What preparation, paint and finish is required for something like this?

2. SDB Guitars

SDB Guitars Commercial User

Jul 2, 2007
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    Shawn Ball - Owner, SDB Guitars
    You'd want it primed with something neutral (white?) and sanded smooth, at least. Once they are done, you'd want to apply several clear coats over the top to seal it.

3. kristlik

kristlik Guest

Nov 22, 2006
    Lincoln, NE
    What kind of paint would you use to paint the design? It seems most of the paints are for spray application; is there a type that also works for painting with a brush?

4. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    artist's acrylic paints will work well. You'll want a good even surface with a coat of primer sanded nice and smooth. When the painting is done a couple coats of an acrylic clear.

5. Greenman

Greenman

Dec 17, 2005
    Ontario Canada
    Go buy a little air brush kit and do some practicing. You will be surprised how good you can get in a short period of time. If you use lacquer it dries fast and you can apply different colors as you go. It's also good for bursts down the road.