1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

HOW TO PLAY a Blues Bass Line!

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by mikedyermusic, Jan 11, 2012.

1. Great video. From roots to root/five then arpeggio chord tones then walking bass lines on one video in easy steps and nice visuals. All in only 4:23 minutes.

So much of what we see deals with only one specific thing, this is a great learning tool. Appreciate your efforts.

2. Fergie Fulton

Fergie Fulton

Nov 22, 2008
    Braintree
    Retrovibe Artist rota
    Great video, and good solid info, share the sentiment of Malcolm, thanks for taking the time and effort.

3. Good video, great lesson! Go ahead and make another one! :D

4. Thank you guys! I'm glad you liked it!

5. wiscrna

wiscrna $hitty Bassist With Decent Gear

Oct 29, 2010
    Southeastern Ohio
    This is awesome. As a new bass player, I really appreciate help like this. Thanks, Mike! Subscribed!

6. +1 for the video, excellent work - let us all know if you do more of these :D

7. INTP

INTP

Nov 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Nice contribution. I like how you build gradually from the roots, to fifths, to triads, arpeggios, then a consolidated bass line.

My only thought is that for some beginners, the jump between the next-to-last line and the last line involves many steps. You not only add chromatic lines, but you also invert the ordering of the arpeggios. Neither of these is hard, but for a complete beginner, it might be good to move through a couple of smaller steps between these. For example, you could add the inverted arpeggios first, then show the difference between a fifth going up to the next chord vs. a fifth going down to the next chord. Also, talk about the chromatic steps as leading from one chord to the next, and also about the different feeling of ascending vs. descending. That last part about the different feeling (i.e. tension and release) might go in the follow up video, but I do think that there are some intermediate steps that could be added to help build up to the last one a bit more gradually.

Also, it's a little thing, but using the ii7/V7 on the turnaround is optional, and it might make it more digestible to just do the full bar of V7 at first (to keep the arpeggios the same), then add the ii7 later, along with some description of the theory behind it.

I still think this is a great video, just offering a couple of observations.

8. dmrogers

dmrogers Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2005
    Eastman, GA
    Excellent lesson!

Thanks so much for your efforts. I know it takes a lot of time and effort to put something like this together and to have it work so smoothly is refreshing.

Great job!

9. lowsideonacurve

lowsideonacurve

Feb 24, 2011
    Thanks!

10. Border

Border

Dec 31, 2010
    Spokane, Wa.
    Great Lesson Mike, Thanks much. I look forward to the next one.
    Border.

11. jabsys

jabsys

Mar 30, 2011
    UK
    +1 hopefully you'll do some more lessons.

12. portlandguy

portlandguy

Feb 15, 2011
    Portland, OR
    very nice!

13. OldogNewTrick

OldogNewTrick

Dec 28, 2004
    Germany, EU
  14. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Nice progressive way to step through this!! Thanks!

15. germ_77

germ_77

Jul 16, 2011
    really great lesson, I think the last part you should break down a bit more though like mentioned above but really easy to follow and great quality.

Thanks.

16. Thanks for all of the feedback and I hope everyone enjoyed it. Within the next few weeks I'm going to post a part 2 to this with more advanced bass lines an will incorporate all of the constructive criticisms you guys posted on the thread. Thanks!
    -Mike

17. And please pass this video on to your friends! I'm closing in on 500 views! :)

18. Planning on posting a Part 2 to this video lesson tomorrow. I'm putting together bonus practice materials (bass lines notated and also tabs) for anyone who subscribes to my youtube channel and messages me. It'll be a good time!

19. great job on the video and lesson. im like a kid with a new toy now.