1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How to play Asus4 or any Sus4 chord

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by pc2184034979, Nov 2, 2018.

1. pc2184034979

pc2184034979 Guest

Oct 26, 2018
    “How do I play a Asus4 or any sus4 chord?”
    Well, all sus4 chords are simple, as with most things there is more than one way to arrive at the answer. Major triads are built on the 1, 3, 5 degrees of the scale. Therefore, that would be A, C#, E. To turn it into an Asus4, just remove the 3rd (C#) and replace it with the 4th degree, now you have Asus4 A , D, E. Or you can sharpen the 3rd, and you get the same thing; C# would become D. I find completely removing the 3rd and replacing with 4th is easiest, however, it is just a matter of choice.
    The same applies to A7sus4 (7th formula) 1, 3, 5, 7 degrees of scale. Just substitute the 3rd for the 4th or sharpen the 3rd; 1st A 3rd C# 5th E 7th G# a7sus4 = A D E G#

2. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    You're on the right track, but not quite there yet.

Hint: A7 is A, C#, E, G so A7sus4 = ???

Do you have access to a keyboard or guitar? That will really help you hear the difference. :)

groooooove likes this.
  3. pc2184034979

pc2184034979 Guest

Oct 26, 2018
    A E D G I know this after 60 years of playing so I have no idea how I came to put what I did.???? My only excuse is I am not perfect

javi_bassist, rohi and Mushroo like this.
  4. SteveCS

SteveCS

Nov 19, 2014
    Hampshire, UK
    Almost. A true sus4 or sus2 chord has no third, just a 4th or 2nd respectively. If you want to get into the historical background of the name, in earlier music the 2nd or 4th would be chord tones held over - suspended - from the previous chord. This old 'rule' is less important these days but the name persists.

5. I always wondered why it was called "sus". Thanks!

6. Mushroo

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    I take issue with the highlighted statement.
    The defining note of a sus4 chord is a perfect 4th. It is not a "sharp 3rd"!
    For example Bbsus4 is written Bb, Eb, F (not Bb, D#, F).

Evert, Febs, HolmeBass and 8 others like this.
  7. pc2184034979

pc2184034979 Guest

Oct 26, 2018
    As with everything that's just your opinion like mine is mine etc etc.

8. Mushroo

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    Fair enough.
    Know any good jokes? ;)

BassPilot likes this.
  9. SteveCS

SteveCS

Nov 19, 2014
    Hampshire, UK

Except Im afraid in this case it's not the opinion of @Mushroo or anyone else, but fact.

10. Here we go. Random musical info time...

11. SteveCS

SteveCS

Nov 19, 2014
    Hampshire, UK
    Just trying to nip that in the bud - I should probably know better...

12. pc2184034979

pc2184034979 Guest

Oct 26, 2018
    As the Aussies say Goodonyah mate. I know a lot of jokes whether they are good lays with the hearer methinks.
    e.g I went to a fight recently and a hockey match broke out.

BazzaBass likes this.
  13. jshinal

jshinal

May 28, 2013
    Raleigh, NC
    Are suspended chords generally played with the suspension as the highest note ? It seems it would emphasize that note more.

14. InhumanResource

InhumanResource

Dec 28, 2012
    Yeah, from an analysis perspective the note is a fourth.

ba55i5t and SteveCS like this.
  15. 4 Strings Good

4 Strings Good

Mar 6, 2014
    Asuspendedchords.

gebass6 likes this.
  16. dhagopian

dhagopian Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Just don't play it. Perfect fourth sounds like crap :roflmao:

17. InhumanResource

InhumanResource

Dec 28, 2012
    Haha. This is usually my answer too, if Asus4 comes up on a chart I opt to avoid that 4th on the bass.

18. Not really. Of course, you can make up your own rules for yourself, but I would recommend to stay with easy, functional, systematic rules that have excisted and evolved for hundreds of years. I could start calling a G for a ##F, but that wouldn't be very smart, even if it was "my opinion". (And, yes, it's ok to break some rules to do something new etc, but this is not new, it's just wrong, and complicates something that is very simple).

Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
    Winoman, aprod and dhagopian like this.
  19. dhagopian

dhagopian Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Oof it's just such a bland note... I'd really only use it in the context of some chromatic thing.

20. InhumanResource

InhumanResource

Dec 28, 2012
    I actually find it overwhelming. It stomps on and often clashes with whatever else is going on in the harmony.

Fergie Fulton and joebar like this.