1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How to play Asus4 or any Sus4 chord

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by pc2184034979, Nov 2, 2018.

1. Groove Master

Groove Master

Apr 22, 2011
    Montreal
    Author of Groove 101, Slap 101 and Technique 101
    Wow 6 pages for an explanation on A sus4... TB at its best once again....

Fergie Fulton and Ekulati like this.
  2. SteveCS

SteveCS

Nov 19, 2014
    Hampshire, UK
    I think somebody learned something new this time, back on page 1...

Fergie Fulton and Whousedtoplay like this.
  3. Groove Master

Groove Master

Apr 22, 2011
    Montreal
    Author of Groove 101, Slap 101 and Technique 101
    The problem is that real information gets lost in all that....

SteveCS likes this.
  4. SteveCS

SteveCS

Nov 19, 2014
    Hampshire, UK
    Yep...

5. Way to go people! We've scared away another one of those pesky "professional" bass players whom was only trying to spend their spare time sharing knowledge with what is supposed to be the premier online bass community. Good on ya mates! :thumbsup:

Whousedtoplay and Groove Master like this.
  6. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    It's our accuracy and attention to detail that makes this the premier online bass community. We can't just let newbies post incorrect or misleading information and not say anything. Unless you want an entire generation of bassists to grow up playing G# under an A7sus4 chord? ;)

7. No, I agree with you there. I'm glad you all went on for five pages telling the man about his numerous inaccuracies (in this thread and others!). Once again, good on ya mates!

8. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    I think it's good when a conversation goes on for 5+ pages, because it means everybody gets a chance to participate and make their thoughts known. Not all TalkBassers are in the same time zone, or even check this forum every day, but just because someone doesn't respond in the first page, doesn't mean their thoughts are invalid. I agree with some of the posts, and disagree with others, but it's been an entertaining read. You're still participating as of page 6, so I know you must agree. :)

9. SteveCS

SteveCS

Nov 19, 2014
    Hampshire, UK
    Professional or not, information will be scrutinized and, if found wanting, get corrected. It's peer review that makes for a premier online resource. IMHO, the problems stem from disrespect in discussion or trixiness in answers, not from the act of discussion. YMMV. But yes, sad to see people bail when they have a valuable contribution to make, whoever they are.

10. There are a lot of people who don't like to be corrected when they say something wrong or inaccurate. I don't think we should pay too much attention to their feelings in these cases.

11. So now, everybody should have a good idea of what it is and how to approach it. Therefore, the purpose was served. I don't care if it takes a thousand.

Personally, if I say something hinkey or just plain wrong, I expect to be corrected. I don't have a burning desire to be "right". I do have a burning desire to know what I'm talking about.

12. Fergie Fulton

Fergie Fulton

Nov 22, 2008
    Braintree
    Retrovibe Artist rota
    Great thread, reminds of why an diminished chord has a bb7 and not 6th, as said context is everything in the evaluation of theory.

Groove Master and SteveCS like this.
  13. SteveCS

SteveCS

Nov 19, 2014
    Hampshire, UK
    It's quite entertaining trying to manipulate the 7-note interval naming convention (only 1 of each letter name in the scale) into an 8-note system where at least one letter name (and therefore interval class - 3rd, 6th etc) must appear twice... Probably best to leave that for another thread. Or just not go there.

Spin Doctor and Fergie Fulton like this.
  14. Fergie Fulton

Fergie Fulton

Nov 22, 2008
    Braintree
    Retrovibe Artist rota
    Yes the fun is in the detail.
    A good foundation in music theory, or even a basic understanding of construction mechanics, often reveals why things are so.
    This was a cool thread because it was not argumentative but informative.

SteveCS and Fredrik E. Nilsen like this.
  15. Whousedtoplay

Whousedtoplay

May 18, 2013
    TEXAS
    Steve,

I was able to listen to your soundclip.
    WOW!
    You have lots of musical talent and compositional skill!
    Where I try to show some stubborn sound template as some "after school activities", you create a beautiful full-fledged musical track.
    You are very talented!

During my lunch break, I've concocted an example of some chords "masquerading" as Sus-type chords.
    My piano skill are extremely limited; therefore, I've decided to use, maybe, the Csus4 chord and its inversions to demonstrate different bass note choices.
    N.B. Harmonically speaking, it's not a Sus chord converted from a quartal chord.

With my right piano hand I play several "inversions" of that chord in my sound clip.

Csus.PNG

With my left hand, I can play any/all notes from the Eb major scale with that (kind of) Csus chord.
    I've created the following "vamp" of
    Csus4/Eb - Csus4/Ab.

N.B. I've lowered open E to Eb.
    Csus-Eb-Ab.PNG

Here is a sound clip of that template from Guitar Pro.
    https://www.talkbass.com/attachment...8/?temp_hash=5fd09ea86e9e6ca996da706dac2fc6cc

What's more, I can use two similar "looking" chords - kind of Sus4.

Csus4/Eb - Csus4/Ab | Csus4/Eb - Dsus4/Ab with the same notes in the bass.

Here is the second chord (kind of) Dsus4.

Csus-Dsus-0.PNG

Csus-Dsus.PNG

And here is a soundclip of that two-sus-chord "vamp" with Guitar Pro.
    https://www.talkbass.com/attachment...8/?temp_hash=5fd09ea86e9e6ca996da706dac2fc6cc

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 7, 2018
    SteveCS likes this.
  16. SteveCS

SteveCS

Nov 19, 2014
    Hampshire, UK
    I'm not sure I would go anywhere like that far to describe a sketch, but thanks for your kind words. And don't forget who planted the seed!