1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How to play rap?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by kr0n, Dec 8, 2011.

1. kr0n

kr0n

Feb 4, 2009
    I don´t know how to play rap music... I got these preteens running around me they all like rap and I wanna keep them in music so I wanted to play rap bass with drum loops so they could do stuff... But I don´t know how? Yeah I´ll listen to songs but tell me in words how you see rap bass?

2. topo morto

topo morto

Mar 22, 2010
    Lloegyr
    Rap basslines are frequently awesome. Mostly they are stylistically influenced (or, hey, directly sampled) from funk/soul/jazz oriented styles. At least they were in my day!

Heavy on great feel, heavy on repetition.

As to how you play it...what's the problem?

3. Vic Winters

Vic Winters Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Western NY
    Depends on the artist. Songs produced by Dre are usually fairly simple. Play a riff 3 times, then a different one once. Repeat as necessary. 'Nothing but a G Thang' is a prime example.

4. topo morto

topo morto

Mar 22, 2010
    Lloegyr
    Dre is pretty old school now though, I guess (that's what I meant by 'in my day'!)

People rap over all sorts of styles of backing tracks. I get the feeling synth-oriented tracks are in a bit more at the moment - nothing you couldn't replicate with a good fuzz though.

5. mambo4

mambo4

Jun 9, 2006
    Dallas
    step 1: play a classic , 20-50 year old soul, rock, or or funk bass line
    step 2: rap over it

ok maybe a bit oversimplified, I know hip hop has evolved and it's now more than just looped tracks and rhymes...but the pop music it has become draws on those classic forms just as much as when Cool Herc was clocking his vinyl, back in the day...

6. topo morto

topo morto

Mar 22, 2010
    Lloegyr
  7. niels125

niels125

Aug 11, 2011
    To me it seems like alot of famous basslines in hip hop/rapish music use a pattern similair to basslines of " lets' dance" or " under pressure"

Just use "cool" sounding simple looping basslines with alot of bass in it

8. If you want modern, Tech N9ne is about as modern as it gets. Youtube the song

Dysfunctional - Tech N9ne

This is a great example of a rap bassline.

9. Practice pushing the “Play” key for both “percussion” and “bass” on your computer simultaneously. Then purchase the Webster’s abridged edition dictionary of four letter words. ;)

10. I´m into recording/producing a rap album for a friend of mine. When recording bass I just play whatever the groove leads me into...no restrictions or rules. You can improvise as well, as long as the song lets you.