1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How to play slap/pop bass?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by JamminFo20, Mar 23, 2006.

1. JamminFo20

JamminFo20

Mar 23, 2006
    I know the VERY basics, and can play notes by popping the string, but I would like to know more. Personal advise or a web site would help a lot.

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Get the book "Slap It" by Tony Oppenheim.

3. Jayb118

Jayb118

Dec 6, 2005
    Isle of Wight
    I find slap and pop easiest to to play by having my right hand near the bridge pickup and slapping somewhere in between the two and then pop using my little finger i find there is less hand movement that way.

4. rascals

rascals

Jun 12, 2008
    there are some good books and dvd's on slap and pop like slap bass "the ultimate guide
    put out by hal leonard you will usallyfind that they are vague on some points...............................................Rich

5. mothmonsterman

mothmonsterman

Feb 8, 2006

greatest book in the history of bass playing IMO.

6. gre107

gre107

Dec 25, 2005
    PA
    Anthony Wellington (Vic Wooten's bass player) does a class (3 actually beginer, intermediate and advanced) at the Music Dojo.

There are videos of each lesson along with notation. The url is: http://www.musicdojo.com/

I highly recommend it if you want to get into slap or learn more. You will save a ton of time.

Peace,

Gerry

7. AMEN

:D

8. ryco

ryco

Apr 24, 2005
    Another good book for basic beginning slap technique is "Slappin': A Complete Study..." by Marc Ensign. Cheap. Easy read

There is also this thread over here in the "Technique" Forum you may want to check out! Lotsa vids and advice! Free!