Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

how to play the distortion part in jerry was a racecar driver

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by azeng808, Dec 17, 2005.

1. azeng808

azeng808

Dec 12, 2004
    I heard les was just fretboard sapping with distortion. Correct me if I am wrong

2. I assume you mean the chorus. I have the Seas Of Cheese book, I know it's supposed to be on a 6-string, but I think it goes something like this if I re-tab it for a 4-string.
    The \ symbol means to slide down.

g-----------------------------17-18-19--
    d-----------------------------17-18-19--
    a---------------------------------------- Repeat
    e-0-3\2--0h5\3\0---0--0---0-------------

I think the low notes are right, but I might be off a little. The high part is definitely right, except that it's supposed to be played on a 6-string on the 12th fret. So I moved it down 5 frets on the G, those notes are strummed. Don't be suprised if it doesn't sound right, I've been working on this song on and off for almost a year and I can't get it to sound exactly right. The tone of Claypool's bass is pretty much impossible to recreate with my bass. And he played this on a fretless which is even harder.

3. irjason

irjason Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    You mean that chainsaw sounding part at about 1:47 before he says "Dog will hunt"? If memory serves me that is distorted tapping.