1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

how to play the E string more?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Unemploid, Mar 11, 2016.

1. when jamming, i hardly play notes on the e string. it's the bassiest notes, so how do i improve that?

2. Torrente Cro

Torrente Cro

Sep 5, 2013
    Croatia
    When I switched from guitar to bass, some notes were too deep for my ears so I avoided them.
    After few months my ears became more "bassy", and it wasn't a problem any more.
    After I bought 5 stringer, I had a same process all over with B string.
    It just takes some time for your ears to adjust.

Unemploid likes this.
  3. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    When you practice, try practicing all your favorite songs, scales, arpeggios, bass lines, and other exercises using only the E string.. Then only the A string, then the D string, then the G string.

The practice goal is to memorize every note on every string.

However, there is no prize for using a particular string in performance. The performance goal is to play the correct notes, that sound good, whatever string they happen to be on.

Unemploid likes this.
  4. viper4000

viper4000

Aug 17, 2010
    Charlotte
    I actually had a similar problem. On 4 stings, I rarely played low E. I did not like my muting options playing finger style and could not develop a proper technique to play open E properly.

When I switched to a 5 string, the low E is now at the 5th fret on the B string, this allowed me to play the low E as a fretted note, and alas, it became much easier for me to incorporate into my lines.

Another suggestion is to find a proper bass instructor (not a guitarist teaching bass). They may be able to show you some good techniques and usages of low E which will in turn help you on your journey.

Good Luck!

Unemploid likes this.
  5. Dogbertday

Dogbertday Commercial User

Jul 10, 2007
    SE Wisconsin
    Blaine Music LLC
    Why ihythis a "problem"? You play what you play. If you want to play lower notes, then do it.

I do agree with the above about ears getting used to lower and lower notes.

6. Mechayoshi

Mechayoshi

Dec 7, 2015
    Tennessee
    I'm the opposite, I like most of my notes to be on the lower strings.

Unemploid likes this.
  7. mambo4

mambo4

Jun 9, 2006
    Dallas
    could be you are not sure quite how to use the E string.
    So play songs you like that use the E string.
    Learn form the efforts of others that you dig.

Mushroo and Unemploid like this.