1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How to plug DBX 160A compressor into amp...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Legolasa, Jun 21, 2014.

1. Legolasa

Legolasa

Feb 16, 2012
    This is an embarrassing question... But I just bought a DBX 160A compressor. I have a Gallien Krueger Fusion 550, and I have no idea what so ever how to connect it to the amp. I know how to use a compressor from recording in the studio. But I never had to plug it into the amp. What input and outputs do I use? And I heard I "shouldn't" use the fx loops right?

2. NoxNoctus

NoxNoctus The Crushinator

May 9, 2004
    Annapolis, MD
    Take a patch cable, plug into your Effects Loop Out, plug into the input of the DBX, Take another patch cable from the output and plug into the Effects Return.

Racks are perfect use for that Effects loop

3. tsheldon

tsheldon

Jun 20, 2005
    Western New York
    I think the effects loop is your best option.

4. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    +2. This is exactly what the effects loop is for.

5. i feel like this depends entirely on what you are using the compressor for. fattening a signal? or adjusting your dynamics? if you are trying to hit the preamp with a more even signal (ie as a limiter), you could put it in front. if you intend to use it to fatten up your amp (ie as a leveling amp), then the effects loop is optimal.

6. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Running a line level device into the amps input is a lot of signal.

tsheldon likes this.
  7. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    It's not that simplistic. If the output of the device is cranked all the way up, then yes that's "a lot" for any amp's instrument input to handle. But (a) most line level devices have a volume knob which can turn the output down to a level the amp can handle just fine, and (b) in this specific case the problem is not the output level at all--the problem is the strength of the signal going IN to the compressor needs to be strong enough for good reaction and good signal-noise ratio.

That's why the FX loop is the right place for it.

JGbassman likes this.
  8. Legolasa

Legolasa

Feb 16, 2012
    I got it... Thanks everyone!