How to pop fast?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Phunky, Dec 30, 2004.

1. Phunky

Phunky Guest

Aug 1, 2004
    How do you do fast popping? I really suck at it and i guess i'm doing it wrong.
  2. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    You can try using more than one finger.
  3. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    I'm afraid this might be the answer. I keep trying, and I still can't pu-pop! with one finger after the other if my life depended on it!

4. it also depends on where you get the string. as i've been playing and pushing myself to go faster and faster, i've learned that you don't need to 'grab' the string with your finger to pop it, you only need enough to pull it up and let it pop back down. so with a good grip and the right angle, i can actually get my finger down on the side of the string and pull it up, which allows me to go a LOT faster.
  5. Bazzist

Dec 7, 2002
    Nova Scotia
    I think practice would help. Worked for me, just start slow.
  6. Playing lighter helps too. It really doesn't take much of a click to make it sound like a pop.
  7. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    That's very interesting to me. I'm not sure I can picture what you're saying, though - I mean geometrically-speaking.

Could you elaborate on the "...finger down on the side of the string and pull it up" part?

8. i don't know if this helps at all, but i took a picture to show.

the tip of my finger hits the side of the string and pulls it up and away from me. it's kinda like finger plucking but i grab it from the side to make it bounce harder and give the pop.
  9. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Funkmasters+lack of skillz0rz=Teh 1337 skillz.

Seriously. Look at me, I use funkmasters. I win. :bag:

Light gauge strings rule for slap.
  10. are they thinner strings or what? I've tried all kinds of sizes, but the only strings to give me the thick full sound I wanted out of a slap start at .105 for the E. thinner's a lot easier to slap on, but then whenever i want to get a thick deep note I realise I can't get it with the strings I have
  11. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    I can still hit those really low notes just the same as with a .105, but the .090 is just so easy.
  12. I find that I get a more bass if I use the slap through technique rather than the bounce off technique, and if I just graze the string with my thumbtip. I proceed from just a slap to more of a whump. I prefer thinner strings; I don't find any lack of bass.