Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How to pop

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Duff_McKagan16, Mar 22, 2002.

1. Could someone please explain to me how shoud i pop. Thanks

2. Fret a note. Let's say, 7th fret on the G string. Pull the string towards you and let it go. It should hit the fretboard and 'pop'. That's about it. For an easy slap-pop riff, try the verse of "Fly away" by Lenny Kravitz.

3. Mr_Pink

Mr_Pink

Nov 30, 2000
    Belgium
    Don't really go under the strings, cause then you will starting to eat strings. => don't use the tops of your fingers but the border of them
    (man, I hate trying to explain something in English, but I like to explain :) )

4. Zirc

Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    shouldn't you pull it away from you?

5. Mr_Pink

Mr_Pink

Nov 30, 2000
    Belgium
    lol: sit on a chair, look at your hand(so you have to move your head down), then pull the string in the direction of your face.

(found this out sitting on my chair with my bass, and writing this)

7. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    A good tip is this:

Use the thumb slap motion to place your index and/or middle finger in popping position.
    That way you save time and this enables you to play really fast slap/pop combinations.

Practice popping the lower strings too, since it's harder than popping the G.