How to power 3 cabinets

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by FenderMeBass, Jun 24, 2022.

1. FenderMeBass

FenderMeBass Supporting Member

Aug 3, 2010
    North Jersey
    Hi guys,

So here is my dream. 3 Aguilar 112s stacked beneath a small class d amp. Is this possible ? Talk to me as a child, because I am. I just play, I'm pretty dumb when it comes to tech. I know the basics but any amp or setup suggestions ?

2. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    I'm pretty dumb myself... but it looks to me that your amp (Mesa Walkabout)only has a 4 ohm output so you can only run 2 of those 8ohm cabs. Adding a 3rd brings the impedance down to 2.67 ohms. A Mesa WD800 amp would power your 3x12" cabs because it will go down to 2 ohms.
    <my 2 cents>

Last edited: Jun 24, 2022
    Aqualung60, bassface69, ELG60 and 7 others like this.
  3. Element Zero

Element Zero Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2016
    California
    What amp are we talkin about using with these 3 cabs?

Peter Torning likes this.
  4. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    What amp?

Peter Torning likes this.
  5. FenderMeBass

Aug 3, 2010
    North Jersey
    thats the question. I need a setup. I know my current one wont work. I like this wd800 , but its a bit pricey

6. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    A pair of 2x10s would also give you the benefits of a tall stack and give you all the volume you need, but with two 8-ohm cabs you could use pretty much any amp you wanted.

7. FenderMeBass

Aug 3, 2010
    North Jersey
    true. I just love these Aggies. and having 3 is super modular. so I can use 1 on super small gigs, 2 on medium gigs, and 3 on big stages without changing amps.

8. FenderMeBass

Aug 3, 2010
    North Jersey
    any other amps out there you know can do this ?

9. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    1) Are they all 8 ohm cabs?

2) What are your tone goals? Do you like things squeaky clean? Or do you want a little bit of old school warmth or "hair" on the tone?

10. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    I just Googled "lightweight bass amps 2 ohm" and the first batch of hits were TB threads.

11. Al Kraft

Al Kraft Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    Any amp that is rated to run with a minimum 2 Ohm (or in your case specifically a minimum 2.67 Ohm) load. Many bass heads from a number of manufacturers are capable of doing this including (since you mentioned Mesa gear) the Mesa D-800, D-800+, WD-800, and TT-800.

12. FenderMeBass

Aug 3, 2010
    North Jersey
    the goal is to be super modular, I want 3 go these Aggie 112's. I usually run one GS and one DB 112 with a mesa, or a tecamp puma (bc of that dry / warm knob which makes cover switches a breeze). I want another GS so bad.

13. FenderMeBass

Aug 3, 2010
    North Jersey
    alright looks like the mesa d-800 is what I want. Now I have to unload my mesa walkabout head. Sounds so good but gotta go.

14. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    I had a similar dream, to I paired two EA VL 108's with a Walter Woods MI/400/8 (400 watts at 8 ohms) that particular setup feedback while a VL 208 at 8 ohms did not. So there are advantages and disadvantages to paring two full range cabinets.

Just my take.

15. stigbeve

stigbeve

Sep 24, 2014
    Ric5 likes this.
  16. FenderMeBass

Aug 3, 2010
    North Jersey
    what do you mean there was feedback?!

17. FenderMeBass

Aug 3, 2010
    North Jersey
  18. Element Zero

Element Zero Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2016
    California
    Glad that got sorted out.

19. Lonnybass

Lonnybass

Jul 19, 2000
    San Diego
    Endorsing Artist: Pedulla Basses
    Genzler heads can run three cabinets down to 2.67 ohm. I have the Genzler equivalent of the Aguilar stack you mentioned...three vertically stacked Bass Array 12s. A modular dream.