1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

HOW TO PRACTICE ARPEGGIOS

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by devine, Aug 13, 2010.

1. Wow, that is MASSIVE! SALUTE BRO, lol!

Sounds like something you'd hear from Lewis Taylor off his debut cd. Between Lewis Taylors first 2 cd's & D'Angelo's debut cd (Brown Sugar) there was no bigger fan than i, lol.

But yes, you can play, very well too, im a fan!

2. monroe55

monroe55

Mar 17, 2009
    I think this clip is starting to grow on me. I've been listening to the first one you put up for a few days now, trying to absorb it more. This new version helped. I may decide to like it now. Especially since you posted the arpeggio exercise pdf for a 4 string bass. Nice. Thanks Scott.

3. monroe55

monroe55

Mar 17, 2009
    Now that solo you play on Caravan that you have on your website is awsome. I really enjoyed that. That was during a scratch gig!? Even better.

4. devine

devine

Aug 22, 2006
    Owner: Scott's Bass Lessons
    Ha ha, nice to know i'm converting ya! The clip where i'm soloing on 'Caravan' i was actually using a 5 string Overwater strung B to G... in my pre C string days. It was a scratch gig but i'd played with the drummer once before.

Easy man,

Scott.

http://www.scottsbasslessons.com

http://www.scottdevinemusic.com

5. devine

devine

Aug 22, 2006
  6. fearceol

fearceol

Nov 14, 2006
    Ireland
    Hi Scott,

I P.M'd you with a question on the exercises. Did you get it ?

7. devine

devine

Aug 22, 2006
  8. fearceol

fearceol

Nov 14, 2006
    Ireland
    Thanks Scott. No hurry. Really finding these a big help. :)

9. devine

devine

Aug 22, 2006
  10. Even more goodness....

11. devine

devine

Aug 22, 2006
  12. Wow. These videos really opened my eyes. This is exactly what I've been looking for. I'm sure I've been told all this before but your videos explained it in a way I could actually understand.

I take my hat off to you sir (well, I would if I wore hats). I have a feeling my bass playing is going to improve dramatically from this day forward. Thank you for sharing this with us.

13. devine

devine

Aug 22, 2006
  14. Maaaan, i've been fighting with playing the bass since 2002, and i know for a fact that i have all kinds of gaps in my knowledge when it pertains to the language of music, however, this was really an outstanding lesson, moreso than others i've gotten in the past.

I've been so frustrated with being confined in the same limited understanding of this instrument that i was in the slow & agonizing process of liqiudating all of my bass gear and had already sold my little mark II head for $200.00 on craiglist, lol (it sold within minutes). I still have my 5 string amer deluxe j bass + my markbass 410 cab. Scott's lesson here has reignited what i loved hearing from the bass again and has demonstrated how my favourites bassists are achieving some of the musical lines that have been so far out've my reach of acquiring. This is our rosetta stone!

15. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA

Nice playing. :)

16. Hey Scott ! Grat lesson thanks . Just want to know how it was studying with Willis .

Cheers !!

17. One question I have is regarding major and minor arpeggios.

I notice in your videos that you're almost exclusively playing 7th, major 7th, or minor 7th arpeggios. I can see how these work well with this method because they each have 4 unique notes.

What about major, minor, or suspended arpeggios that only contain 3 unique notes? I realize that taking one note away shouldn't change this idea too much, but it doesn't seem like they flow as smoothly. Any advice on what to do with them?

Also, I have to ask, what's with the glove man?

18. hachi kid

hachi kid

Jun 2, 2008
    Austin, TX
    cool. I have some free time coming up. I'll definitely keep an eye on these. thanks man!

19. fearceol

fearceol

Nov 14, 2006
    Ireland