Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

how to practise quietly on double bass??

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by 33degrees, Aug 2, 2005.

1. 33degrees

33degrees

Jun 4, 2005
    Spain
    is there anyway possible i can reduce the sound comming out of my double bass si i can practise late at night in my apartment and not disturb the a+++++++s upstairs? i have put scarfs in the f-holes that has worked a bit, any other suggestions?

2. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    There is made a practice mute that can be had for under $10. Big rubber thing that goes on the bridge just like a regular mute, just a lot bigger. I've also seen metal, weighted clamp-type practice mutes, but haven't tried them. The rubber ones do work ok. I have an Alter Ego EUB, and this is what I use for late-night and hotel practicing, but this would be a reather expensive solution for you.

3. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    For arco, I have no idea other than the traditional bridge mute. But for pizz, just mute the strings right on the fingerboad side of the bridge with some foam or heavy cloth wrapped around them. The further from the bridge you get, the less pitch you'll hear, so you might want to try wrapping something tight in very close proximity to the bridge itself. Good luck.

4. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I have the big bridge condom thing that Ray mentioned. It works pretty well for arco and doesn't really interfere with anything else.

I ordered it online from somewhere, maybe wwbw. It was maybe 13-14 bucks with shipping.

I use it at night so as to not disturb the kiddies upstairs.

This guy may be a little steep on the price, but here's what I'm talking about:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Heavy-Duty-Bass...ryZ38106QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

5. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Upton sells one for like, $10. Sometime later this year, I'll be putting in a sizable order or two with Upton (revolution SOLO pickup, slipstop, some pops, a few other misc things, etc.) and I'll probably get a bridge mute too. They seem pretty useful and after next year, I'll be living in a dorm/apartment, so it'll be kind of necessary.

6. I've used a combination of the regular rubber bridge mute and a towel draped over the bridge and making contact with the top for light duty. To really kill the sound I put a 1-1/2lb dumbell plate on a rag on the top of the bridge. It works well.

-J

7. Pcocobass

Pcocobass

Jun 16, 2005
    New York
    Why don't you just quit your job and practice during the day like a real musician? :D

8. 33degrees

33degrees

Jun 4, 2005
    Spain
    i am a pro but i am a night person, i normally do a couple of hours on the double bass in the afternoon and lectric at night but its not always possible to get my 3 hours in the afternoon, you know how it is, and at night i can play for hours on electric,

9. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    :D

10. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    I've had the mute for a long time now. It kills like half of the volume, but my bass is still too loud for late night. It's still pretty loud with arco despite that. I'm thinking that too much energy still gets transferred into the endpin, turning the floor (I live on the 3rd floor) in a big drum. My walls aren't that thick. Putting a towel threaded between the strings minimized it, but I hated the way the strings felt dead, and unlike when the bass is free of crap.

These days I only use the rubber mute to improve my arco technique, being that it's much harder to get a clear sound out of the bass with a hunk of rubber on it. Afterwards, playing the bass without the mute is like sex without a condom. :p

As for late night practicing, my solution has been to share a practice studio with a friend that I can play at any hour of the night. :D