Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

how to prepare for an audition...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by sloppysubs, Dec 15, 2004.

1. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    that your not real sure youve got a fighting chance for?

heres the story. a band in the DC area named lloyd dobler effect has asked me if id like to audition. of course i said yes. so they sent me their cd and told me to learn 7 songs, which im 95% done with. just need a verse and an outro. the guy ive been talking to is super nice and been very helpful. the last bass player they had was a monster. he did a lot of slap, tap and walking and what not. apparently they dont want that. theyre looking for "in the pocket" which is cheerio to me. so the guy tells me yesterday that theyve auditioned 32 bassists since october and they really only liked 2. everyone theyve auditioned has been from around the DC area. im flying up from FL to do it.

so ive learned the material and im confident and a tad nervous. but what else should i do? i figure when i get there before we even get started just ask them a ton of questions about the songs and stuff. but is there anything else? thanks for the help guys and gals.

2. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Ask them what they didn't like about 30 other bassists they tried out. Also, find out what kind of personality they want in a bandmate.

When they ask your opinion on matters, music-related and otherwise, don;t be afraid to express them, but make sure they are your true opinions. The last thing you want is to give a false impression and then having to live it up to it later.

Remember that you are going to have to "live" with these dudes during practices and performances and you want to make sure that you are a good fit (and vice-versa), musician-wise as well as personality-wise.

On a less-than-serious note, be sure to walk into the audition with a boombox held high above your head that's playing Peter Gabriel (a reference to the band's name). ;)

3. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    HAHAHAHAHA!

thanks PB ill be sure to ask them about their already auditioned bass players. and the personality stuff. thanks again for the help.

4. Be enthusiastic and act like you want the gig. Be receptive to their criticisms and accept their compliments. Be as charming and empathetic as you can to your surroundings and your prospective bandmates while still being yourself.

It's like interviewing for a job-- you'll find these are good skills to have in many a situation even if the band breaks big and you never have to return to a day gig.

5. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    more great info. thanks a lot. yea i thought if i went in like a crack head on ridelen, but happier then id be ok.