How to prevent afterburn

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Thunderscreech, Feb 2, 2009.

1. Hi.

That's just part of the fun, I ain't complaining.

Just my 0.02€
    Sam

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

Hey, that's part of the fun!:hyper: When I make chili, it is so good that it burns twice.

On a chilihead forum that I sometimes visit, they are always joking about putting a roll of toilet paper in the freezer when making a pot of red, or when they get a new super hot sauce to try.

I tell you, there are times that Tucks or Prep H pads are your friend.:help:

3. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    all you guys are rookies! :spit:

4. embellisher

Just cuz I'm a white boy don't mean that I don't eat peppers and coffee for breakfast!:D

5. To resist spiciness, it takes some time...

Just train your tongue by eating some not so spicy foods and after you can master that you eat something spicier and spicier every so often (when you master the previous level) (level wft?).

Well, I know this 'cause I used to live in the US, and then I moved here to Mexico, so yeah there's lots of spicy things here... (There's even a spicy ice popsicle!!! :eek:)

When I got here, I couldn't really resist any spiciness, and then I just trained my tongue and got used to it.

I still get afterburned, but at least I can resist the other stuff.

6. Hi.

^Well, I'm NOT going to train my tongue to resist afterburn, that's for sure ;).

Regards
    Sam

7. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    Says mister snuggie wuggie! :spit:

8. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    :atoz:

9. embellisher

:p

10. I'm talking about what what comes out the other end, not what goes in. hence, AFTER burn.

Plus, spicy popsicles would be tasty.

11. Mingus

Mingus

Aug 23, 2007
    Miami
    I can so relate here... I thought I was a lone and that the afterburn was the result of some indigestion.

LMAO, You don't understand how much this thread and me are getting along right now.

12. Ok, you guys are obviously rookies when it comes to this stuff, so I will educate!
    1. Wetnaps! keep them in the freezer, they are the only thing that really understands...btw, don't let that quilted bear screaming turn you off, he's just doing his job! LOL
    2. Icecream or any dairy product will provide short term relief, however, your body needs to produce enzyms (sp) to deal with the dairy and they can be as bad as acid indigestion.
    3. don't approach the "throne until you are actually ready... pushing will only irritate the situation
    4. Tuck and roll!
    fishheadjoe

13. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm...

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    I always dread the afterburns a little after I've had a good spicy Indian food.

I also do not recommend vigorous physical exercise few hours after consuming very spicy food. I could feel the food burning its way up the stomach, through the esophagus and up to my throat. That sucked bad.

14. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio!

Jul 3, 2001
    Santa Ana, Calif.
    Former Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Two words: suppository popsicles. ;)

15. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    I generally use the term "hot poops" as I find it has the most comedy value.

Capsaicin (the chemical responsible for most things tasting hot) is not water soluble but it is relatively alcohol soluble, which is why margaritas pair well with spicy mexican food, beer with hot chili etc. Whether that helps the next day I can't say for sure but it would make sense if it did.

16. Actually, the correct term is "Peppermint Bum"! :crying:
    fishheadjoe

17. XtreO

XtreO

Jan 2, 2008
    Norway
    Hahahahahaha this.

18. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 4, 2021