How to prevent school shootings, Part II - Texas style!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by soulgeezer, May 20, 2007.

1. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Inactive

Jan 29, 2007
    Northern New Jersey
    Endorsing Artist: Red Zone Effects
  2. Vince S.

Vince S. Resident Former Bassist

Jan 24, 2003
  3. :mad:

What the heck is this world coming to? People are such wimps nowadays. And do they think stupid policies like this actually help?

:scowl:

4. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Inactive

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    Welcome to America. The following are banned:

Items.
    Thinking.
    Freedom.

Enjoy your stay!

5. Luckily i don't use backpacks anyways :)

6. UnsungZeros

UnsungZeros The only winning move is not to play.

When I was still in high school, they banned backpacks during finals too. Students didn't really need anything those days except a pencil, pen and maybe a calculator if you had a math or science final. It wasn't strictly enforced, so if you brought one they didn't do anything to you. The concern wasn't about weapons, but pranks during the last days of school.

In my view, however, banning backpacks isn't going to stop a sufficiently motivated student from pulling a prank or bringing a weapon.

7. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    I'm pretty sure they don't help. In fact, the only thing I can think of that's even less helpful is pretending everything is fine and dandy just as it is. ;)

8. Diggler

Diggler

Mar 3, 2005
    Western PA
    What are they going to do when Dora The Explorer gets amnesty from the 'comprehensive' illegal immigration bill and can't take her 'backpack, backpack' to school?

9. My School has banned backpacks since early last year.

But allows these...[​IMG]

:confused:

10. ExD

ExD

Mar 8, 2007
    Australia
    ^ Haha :D

I don't use backpacks either, everything I need fits in my pocket, and I do most of my homework at school.

11. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    When I went to school, we had to carry our books in our hands. A big stack of them, like 6-7, uphill both ways, in a blizzard. And we LIKED it! Did I mention that it was a four mile hike getting there? Or that it was 7 miles back home?

;) :D

12. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    I'm sensitive... you might make me cry :bawl:

Have you ever been to the UK?

13. My Dad grew up in Oswego, NY. His walk to school was HELLACIOUS on a good day!! In the winter it must have been a damn expedition. I forgot how far it was exactly but it was like.........across town!! I only had a half mile walk to the bus stop. My kids complain about having to walk 100 yards in the heat or rain :rollno:

14. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Well, next thing you know, they'll ban schools, since the backpack ban isn't working so well...:meh:

Seriously, all this "Politikally Korrekt" BS has to go. It may be too late for the US, though. Someone might get sued if they accidentally hurt someone's feelings! Y'know what? Butch up, Shirley!

15. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    We read all about it in the Latimour and Lundquist monthly journal.

16. This is crazy, a 10 month old baby can have a gun license and a shotgun but you can't carry a backpack?????

Something doesn't compute.. *&^*&%#&^%#&(&$)*$#

Not a dig but you must admit very weird.

17. Vince S.

Vince S. Resident Former Bassist

Jan 24, 2003
    +1, but FWIW the permit/shotgun was more of a symbolic "cute" thing the parents wanted to do for their kid.

18. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Inactive

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    You say that now, but when that 3 year old goes around robbing liquor stores, then you'll be sorry.

19. HA! excellent.

20. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 5, 2021