1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How to prevent to use your cab (shady people) ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by taught, Sep 12, 2018.

1. taught

taught

Jan 5, 2015
    Hungary
    Ok, so the thing is that we share a rehearsal place with 4 band. The guy that is responsible for the whole room and managing things know all 4 bands and its members (plays in 2 of the bands actually).

Unfortunately one of the amp has broken magically. Magically means it was functional when its owner left it and next time he turned on it was not working.

Questions were asked and it turned out that a guy from one of the bands brings some random shady people that use our gear (yeah, I know...) and he kinda admitted that they are responsible for the damage.

We are working on the solution to sort this out, but in the meantime how can I prevent anybody to use my bass cab (it has only one input jack) ? I need a quick and efficient solution without taking the cab home every damn time.

BTW I never leave my amp (PF350) at the place since I use it at home each day.

Thanks!

2. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Remove the jack and take it home with you. Put a quick connect on the wires.
    wire-quick-connectors-2-pin-quick-connector-w-silicone-wire-leads-el-wire-quick-connectors.

3. Remove the fuse privately and tell everyone else it has an issue.
    Edit: sorry I thought it was the whole rig. You could put a banana jack on it and take the cables.
    Put a note on it.
    Take it home....
    Not to advocate violence but I would find the person responsible and cut the treble out of them. The situation of shared rental is based on trust, and you are being blatantly abused.

4. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    The only way is to somehow "rig" it.

You could run the speaker wires through a double pole switch which you would hide on the bottom.

You can use a bike lock cable to lock the cab against the wall or some other structure that blocks the input.

If it has recessed handles on the side you can take out all but two screws. At the end of your rehearsal, reach in from the side and unplug the speaker wires and pop those two screws back in.

5. ThudThudThud

ThudThudThud

Jun 4, 2010
    Put a male speakon in the cab in place of a female connector. Add a female to one end of your speaker cable?

Paulabass, mbelue, EMoneySC2 and 13 others like this.
  6. People do this to hot-rods to make them harder to steal.
    I would show up to one of their practices and make a frakking scene.

7. Passinwind

Passinwind I am Passinwind and some of you are not. Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    Bluetooth enabled relay in the cab.

Barticus, ELynx, RichSnyder and 6 others like this.
  8. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    Get rid of the guy that brings the shady people.

9. Bodeanly

Bodeanly Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    Since it’s just rehearsal, you may get by with going direct. I showed up to rehearsal once to find that the guitarist was using my cab as a rack to dry his sweaters. I also just remembered how angry that made me.

10. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    Just need a single pole - either disconnect one side or for more fun short the jack with it. Just make SURE it's not your amp that gets smoked LOL.

andruca, El-Bob, Aqualung60 and 6 others like this.
  11. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    Spend $5 and cover the input jack with one of these:

4CAE76E0-AF6E-4883-B169-64B507A2C0D4.

Edit: I just realized that this hasp will probably rattle like a MF when you use the cab.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
  12. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Take the amp home. Practice space is one thing, equipment is another. Ain't no one having free reign to use my equipment.

And my rig is either a Fender Rumble 100 (22 pounds) or a Genz-Benz Shuttle 6.2 on a 12" cab (36 pounds) so taking them home is easy.

13. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    You do realize that the OP specifically asked for solutions other than this?

jhb138, mbelue, Barticus and 5 others like this.
  14. redwingxix

redwingxix Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2015
    detroit
    If simply not having shady people around your cab isn't an option then I like the switch idea. Let the clowns trying use your gear waste their time troubleshooting. Plus many people would see a lock or chain as a challenge to overcome ( I know I would )

15. Nighttrain1127

Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    How much does the switch need to be rated for?

16. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    The thread title says cab. The first post says he's already taking the amp home.

mbelue, JeffC23, St_G and 3 others like this.
  17. Strung_Low

Strung_Low Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2012
    San Franciskee
    Put a padded cover over the whole thing, chain it, and lock it.. also have a talk w the the guy managing the studio about NOT letting shady people in to mess w people's gear.

18. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    A kill switch or quirky connector is an invitation for vandalism or worse, IMHO. Keep irresponsible users out. That is the only real solution—also make sure you have insurance.

19. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    I had a cab that got smoked at a shared practice space. Honestly, my big solution to the problem was to schlep my gear after that.