Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How To Properly Sticker the Headstock?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Motorhead Mark, Nov 8, 2004.

1. Hey all, looking for some advice to this problem here. I am making my own bass and am using a Fender Jazz neck (the one off the Geddy Lee).

Problem is, I want to put a name on it, where the Fender Jazz Bass sticker goes, but I don't know what would work best...ie, stay on the longest, look the best...does anybody have any ideas? fyi, this is a "Allparts" neck, so there is currently no sticker/label on the head.

I was thinking of a "Letraset" (sp?) but I don't know how long the letters would stay on. Or just painting, but I play bass, not a paintbrush, hell, I couldn't even paint my way out of a barn...

So what do I do to get a name on my bass?

2. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Letraset would work, to lenghten the life of the letters you could then apply a few ting coats of varnish over the top. That would make it permanent.

3. Any good window sticker should hold, as long as you sand off the varnish where the sticker will be first. And Toasted is right, varnish over it when you are done.

How about Phoenix? Rising from the ashes and all that. Or Frankenbass?

Rock on
    Eric

4. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    Nino Brown had a thread about this a while back. Take care with decals. Some will respond well to different types of clear-coat and will dissolve with others. An easy way to do this is use a clear-back decal and apply it to the existing finish. Then, coat it with several coats of Future floor polish and let cure.

5. I have been wondering about that (varnish) as the neck is already finished. So if I used a letraset, would I need to sand first? As this will be a custom, I have thought about getting a sticker made up, but the guy I know that makes stickers professionally will not do a run of 1 just for me. And I dont need 1000 stickers sitting around the house. Whats a bass player to do eh?

6. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    You can sand the existing finish off, but decals, especially water-slide, like a slick surface to adhere to. So, you may find that your decal won't stick, shatters, or bubbles. You can make decals on the right type of ink jet printers using decal paper. To learn about decals and how to apply them, check out the website of Finescale Modeler or other hobby sites. Better yet, PM Nino Brown for expert advice.

7. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    Great advice. I've seen some pretty nasty looking decals caused by too much of a clear coat.