How to put a strap button on an a/e bass

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by bertbassplayer, May 29, 2001.

1. I just bought a Martin BG-1E Acoustic/Electric Bass Guitar, and it only has 1 strap button (on the bottom), I bought one of those wrap around neck thingys for acoustic guitarists, but the distance from the bottom to the top of the neck is just plain too long for any strap I know of. So my question... how can I put a button, like one the back of the base of the neck, or find a strap long enough?
  2. What's up bert, on a bass I had like yours the strap didn't go all the way to the headstock. It went about 3/4 of the way up the neck and then a small piece of rope/string went from the strap to the headstock right behind the nut.

Hope that helps a little.
  3. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Does your instrument have a large heel?
    My acoustic guitar has, and I simply put a strap button there. At a certain angle, so the guitar would naturally hang in the angle I prefer.
    Works great!

Just make sure that the heel is so big, that a screw for the strap button won't harm neck or body.

Measure twice, carve once;)
  4. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    If the neck does not have a large heel, look inside. IIRC, there is a good-sized block of wood inside the body that the neck heel is glued to. You could drill into this directly through the back of the bass. It is a very strong structural piece of the instrument so it will have no trouble handling the strap button.

If you're not confident in your own ability, take it to a good repairsperson -- it's a small deal and should not be an expensive job.