Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How to put in a new speaker?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by PollyBass, Aug 24, 2002.

1. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Never tried it before. popping a new 15' in my 15' cab. the one i have now,,, i mean,, it can't be,,, but it looks like someone ripped the center out with a knife(the dust cap, or whatever it is) and put a voice coil behind it?!?!? It sure does sound like it's picking up alot of fingernoise, so i'm GUESSING it has a some high end thign in it. my question is, HOW DO I POP IN A NEW 15'?Just take that one out, pop in the new on the same as the old one?

2. Yup, that's about all there is to it. However, if you can't replace the driver with the exact same model from the same manufacturer, having the old driver reconed is probably a better option...and usually cheaper.

Your cab was designed to work best with the specifications of the original driver that's in it and simply replacing it with one that's only similar can yield unsatisfactory results.

On a complete recone, they take your old driver and strip it down to the bare magnet and basket and rebuild it with a new cone, voice coil, spider and everything. They can even recharge the magnet if necessary. It's like getting a brand new speaker for about half the cost.

3. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Umm,,, WHO DOES RECONES?

4. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    WHERE DO YOU LIVE?

5. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    FARMERVILLE LOUSIANA. IT REALLY SUCKS, NO JOKE,, HEY,, WHY AM I YELLING? no really, i live in northeast lousiana, in a town called farmerville.

6. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
  7. if the speaker is being loaded from the front of the baffle make sure you use a good seal, usually made of adhesive foam strips.,........unless you like flutter.

8. gbenner

gbenner

May 20, 2001
    ocean, new jersey
    speakers are made on an assembly line. When you have it reconed its completely rebuilt by hand. I would think its a better job then getting one off an assembly line.

9. PeaveyTNT

PeaveyTNT Banned

Jul 21, 2002
    USA
    traditionaly with screw drivers.... screws...... copper wires.... and... uhh.... nuts....

oh yeah... a soddering iron is always dandy... then all u have to do is connect a to b and so forth... and sodder the wires in place...

of course... ive never done it b4 so.... dont mind Meh:D