Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How to put on a Fender decal?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by BassGreaser, Jul 3, 2004.

1. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I'm guessing this is the best place to place this question...I am building a Pbass using warmoth parts, and I have a fender decal that I want to put on the headstock. Can anyone tell me how I go about putting one on?

2. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    lol......it sounds pretty easy to screw putting one on currectly. I remember those tattoos were not so easy to get perfect onto ones skin :rolleyes:

3. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    1. Go to a hobby store and get a bottle of decal setting solution. Micro-sol and Solvaset are two common brands.

2. Be sure you have a smooth finish coat where the decal is being applied! No raw or oiled wood.

3. Float the decal in a bowl of lukewarm water until the backing paper is ready to fall off.

4. Place bass or neck flat on a surface that it can stay for a day or two - it needs to stay flat to prevent decal runs and/or sags. Place a small puddle of diluted setting solution where the decal is going to go.

4. Gently place the decal in final position, and *lightly* wick away excess fluid with the corner of a paper towel. This gets the decal on the surface instead of floating on liquid. Let dry a bit.

5. With the bottle applicator or a plastic coffee stirrer, *gently* drip decal setting solution on the surface of decal.

6. The next day, after everything's completely dry, *gently* clean the area with a damp soft cloth to remove any residue.

7. Apply a seal coat of your neck finish.

The setting solution is optional, but will help give a much better bond and will prevent "silvering". This is the way we do it in model railroading, and it's worked well for me for over thirty years.

Just remember, a wet decal is delicate!

4. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    thanks Heavyduty...my neck will cost with a gloss finish on it...I'm not sure what step 7 means..

5. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    You don't need to gloss the whole neck, just the front of the headstock. You can use a matte overcoat in step 7 if the rest of the neck is flat.

6. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    ahhhhhh......could I get away with applingthe decal with no sealer coat over it? :confused:

7. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    You can try, but it'd be very fragile. You could probably get away with a brushed-on coat of something over the decal only, just large enough to cover it and seal the edges.

8. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    Am I the only one that thinks this is dishonest? Put a Warmoth decal or one with YOUR OWN NAME on it.

9. BenderR

BenderR

Jun 1, 2004
    Tucson, AZ
    Yes, it is a violation of Fenders trademark but as long as it is not ever sold as a Fender I don't see the harm.

10. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I agree....If I ever sell it I will be 100% honest about that it isn't a real Fender, and that it is a kit bass from warmoth.

11. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    Ok then.

12. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    If you are looking for an alternative to sealing over the entire headstock with gloss overcoat, just coat the cured decal with Future acrylic floor polish. This stuff is magic to scale modelers. It is also a good undercoat for the decal as water-slide decals loooove a slick surface.

13. The real problem is NOT what you do with the bass - it's what the person you sell it to does with the bass. And the person after that. It is OK to make a replica as long as it's not meant to decieve. An original "Fender" decal on the headstock is prima facia evidence of intent to deceive. If you didn't want people to think it was a Fender, then you wouldn't put the Fender decal on. It's as simple as that.

If you doubt my reasoning and have some courage go over to the Fender Discussion page www.fdp.com and post the same question in the appropriate forum over there. Then sit back and review the responses. Then, I think you'll see the error of this idea.

14. Thunder_Fingers

Thunder_Fingers

Jun 24, 2004
    Norway
    Well, arent Warmoth one of the official Fender replacement things togheter with Allparts.com? i know they say on their site that they are certificated by fender... so in that way its an fender...

15. marklinca

marklinca

Nov 11, 2003
    So Cal
    Warmoth replacement parts are "licensed" by Fender, meaning that they adhere to certain quality standards and are allowed to exactly duplicate the Fender headstock shapes - in exchange for royalties.

These parts are markedly different than Genuine Fender or "Genuine Fender Replacement Parts." Warmoth does not make parts for Fender.

Personally, I would skip the decal - since it is a trademark violation, and some novice down the road could get duped.

It sounds like you already bought the neck, but a "Genuine Fender Replacement Part" neck wouldn't cost much more than a finished Warmoth neck (plus the cost of a nut, leveling/finishing the frets).

16. Take a look at the disclaimer anywhere FMIC instruments are sold - "FMIC (Fender Musical Instrument Corporation) does not endorse any non-FMIC product"

That pretty much says it all. :smug:

17. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    My personal feeling is that if you want it to say "Fender" that's OK - but leave off the rest of the decal ("Precision Bass", patent dates, etc.)

18. Where can I get a custom decal from? (e.g. one with my own name on it!)

Thanks.

19. BenderR

BenderR

Jun 1, 2004
    Tucson, AZ
    Try http://www.decalfactory.com/u-make.php where they have a do it yourself decal kit. You can print what you please with an inkjet printer and create a one off custom decal.

You could also search the Internet with the search term custom decal and any number of companies will come up.

The Brush Script font in some MS Office apps looks somewhat like Fender's script.

[​IMG]

20. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    And with Fender's QC being what it is I might be almost more inclined to buy it off you because of the fact its a Warmoth. *runs away very, very fast wearing I love fender flame-proof t-shirt* :D :bag: