Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

how to rackmount pedals?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by panazza, May 4, 2005.

1. panazza

panazza

Nov 23, 2003
    italy
    I am thinking of getting a compressor.... still not decided between a rack one (dbx 266xl) or a pedal one (aphex punch factory...)

I have two free rackspaces in my rack... so I could buy the dbx... but everyone keeps saying me the aphex pedal just sounds better...

how could I put the pedal (if I get it) in the rack?

any suggestions?

2. Velcro it to the top of something or the sides of your rack. Generally all rack gear (besides power amps) are fairly shallow and there's space on the walls of the rack.

I have one of those Airline Wireless systems that has a pedal-sized receiver that I sometimes mount inside my rack this way. Run an adaptor to your surge protector and route your cables where they need to go.

Otherwise, you could get a sliding roll-out shelf that they sell at either Guitar Center or computer supply stores, mount the punch factory to that, and you can slide it in and out of your rack if you need to make adjustments.

3. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    So you rackmount things that you leave on all the time correct?

Should I take my Punch Factory out of my board and velcro it to my amp?

4. If you're going to leave it on all the time, I see no reason why you couldn't put it in your rack somewhere and free up a space on your board. You could also velcro it to the top of whatever is just below your two open rackspaces, so you can get to it easier. No real need for a shelf or anything. Also, if you are plugging into it before the input of your amp, then accessibility from the front may be important.

There are some players that only use a pedal compressor during solos or slap passages or tapping (or whatever), so it's up to you.

5. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Ah well you see, I'm playing through a combo.

Does that make me a newb? :(

6. Sorry, didn't read your name before I replied and thought your were the original poster. panazza and petary...oh well.

Yes, you can velcro the PF to your amp if you really want to...personally, in that situation, I wouldn't do that. I'd want the pedal protected on my board, and NO I wouldn't get a rack just for my PF.

7. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Doesn't Aphex make a rack version?