Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

how to re-fret a fretless?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by 33degrees, Oct 3, 2005.

1. 33degrees

33degrees

Jun 4, 2005
    Spain
    i de fretted my usa jazz bass to make it into a fretless but now i'd like to go back to a fretted. anyone know any websites for advice?
    what is a good fret wire size? how do i file the ends of the fret and then stone it?
    thanks

2. I'm with Josh - this is NOT an afternoon of DIY and off to the gig sort of thing. You will surely screw things up royally if you aren't well aware and well practiced in fretting the instrument. There is a very good reason that skilled repairmen and luthiers get $200+ for quality refrets and that's becuase it takes a long time to learn all of the details. We are dealing with tolerances below a thousandth of an inch here.

3. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    +1

Pay for a refret, or pay for good refretting tools and materials and plan on speding more than you would for a refret, or buy a new neck.

A guy named Einstein had this saying about the technology required to fix a problem being exponentially greater than the technology required to cause the problem. He might have been a shade-tree luthier in his spare time!

4. The amount of work you put into the neck I would suggest buying a new neck to be able to keep the one you have now tucked away, you can always swap it when you are feeling like it.

5. johans

johans G.U.I - Groovin' under influence

Oct 28, 2004
    the Bay Area, CA
    cant agree better

6. duckbutter

duckbutter

Mar 30, 2005
    is it possible to fret an unlined fretless neck ?
    Wouldn't that be like adding frets to a blank neck ?

7. duckbutter

duckbutter

Mar 30, 2005
    Kind of like...if you built a neck and wanted to make it a fretted neck. The nut is already there.
    Wouldn't it be "just" calculating where the frets go, cut the slots, add and file the frets?
    I would think that the finish would have to be removed first.
    BTW...by no means am I under the impression that it is even the slightest bit easy.

8. Yes it would be like that but it would be more difficult than if it were fretted in line with the process of building. The finished neck would have to be jigged up so that it could be passed through the mitrebox perfectly perpendicular to the saw. When a fretboard is done off the neck, it's usually done before shaping and a straight side is used as a reference for getting all of the frets parallel.

9. 33degrees

33degrees

Jun 4, 2005
    Spain
    does fender sell necks for jazz basses?

10. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    just get a new neck of the bay or something.

11. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Not anymore. Discontinued this a few months ago.