1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

how to record at home?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by BattleBass, Jun 4, 2011.

1. BattleBass

BattleBass

Jun 4, 2011
    hi guys! i've been lurking the forums for a while but just decided to register so i could get some help. i've been playing bass for 6-8 months now and am interested in recording some simple stuff. I'm not looking to do anything fancy and i can't invest more then $200-300 due to budget issues. i've heard that you can just get a instrument cable to mic jack adapter but i searched for them and have had no luck finding one. so what do i do? i have no experience in recording at all.

2. gidbass

gidbass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    I run my bass into my VT bass pedal, from there out to the Microphone input on my laptops and record that way. I use Audacity on Windows, and Garageband on Mac and have had good success with both.

You will need some adapters to go from 1/4" mono to 1/8" stereo but those are cheap at radioshack.

Good luck!

3. You can also use a digital/analog converter (DAC) to take an analog signal from your amp to USB and into your computer.

PreSonus make a nice two input unit, that's in your budget, and includes editing software.

Have fun

4. waleross

waleross

Nov 27, 2009
    South Florida
  5. PDGood

PDGood Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    You didn't mention if you're trying to record just bass or something more than that - like your band. Do you want to do overdubbing or just make one pass? For simple recording there are a number of small, hand held devices with mics that you can set up in a room and they will pick up what you play. But that's not ideal for bass, that's more to get an idea of an overall band sound.
    Bass sounds better if recorded direct (or a cabinet miced up close). If you have a computer with Garageband or similar software then you can do a lot more than you can with just a hand held device. It all depends on what your goal is.

6. BattleBass

BattleBass

Jun 4, 2011
    I'd like to be able to record bass and guitar(and hopefully some day drums), but right now i just want bass/guitar, if i have to do something different for drums in the future then i will. I'm planning on using audacity.

7. RMXSeven

RMXSeven

May 18, 2008
    Australia
    If u have a Mac, there is a $30 "ilink" cable that I found works quite well for a quick recording. If I'm after something more elaborate, the mboxs have worked quite well for me. The phantom power for my mics is nice, saves me having to plug in a mixer, and they're within your price range. Of course, although the recording quality is quite decent, I still need to learn how to play lol ;)

8. Shop around......don't be afraid to go used......Craigslist can be you friend!

Recently, I outfitted my meager, beginners home studio with an M-Audio FasTrack II interface from CL for $35, a pair of used M-Audio AV-40 monitors for $65 from Daddy's Junky Music and an M-Audio KeyRig 49 MIDI keyboard on sale at GC.

If you're like me, you've probably got a mic or two lying around that you can use for vocals and/or instruments.

While I realize that most of the gear listed is probably considered entry level, that's where I'm at...entry level. It's gotten me started...and I haven't spent $200 yet. :D