Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How to record Bass via D.I.

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by chimp_spanner, Nov 23, 2002.

1. Hey all! Just wondered if anyone had any tips on the best way to record bass guitar into my PC via D.I. My setup goes a little like this...

Bass goes into chanel on mixer, (guitar and sound module also reside on their own chanels), then using the 'monitor send' knob, i can choose which instrument i want to send to the inputs of the soundcard - crude I know but its a very simple mixer so I've had to improvise!! Then obviously from there I can apply amp modelling, dynamics, EQ from within Cubase. My trouble is, the bass seems to overdrive very easily, and not the nice kind of overdrive. guitar i have no problems with so im guessing its just down to the nature of Bass guitar, what with it having lower frequencies etc. etc. Even when I bring the monitor send level down to practically 0, i can still hear it distorting even though the input levels on my Delta Audiophile are well in the green.

So, from this there are 2 questions.

1. Could this 'overdrive' be due to lousy factory pickups? I am currently using a bog standard Ibanez Gio 4 string to tide me over till my new active 5string arrives on monday :D. Would lousy pickups cause signal breakup when I play hard? I'd hate to think I'd get this same unwanted effect once my shiny new bass comes!

2. Do I need to have some sort of dynamics module or compressor immediately after the bass, before the signal gets anywhere near the mixer or soundcard?

I know this is a long winded question, but any help would be real good!!

Thanks in advance

Paul

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I assume there's no battery inside your bass... ;)

Lower the input gain on the mixer, everything else seems ok from reading this.

3. I have had this same sort of problem, my bass ended up sounding like a trombone.

Anyway, I fixed it by lowering the mic in level on the actual soundcard, which can be set much much higher when using guitar.