Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How To Record on Computer?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by deathbloomslife, Jul 24, 2005.

1. I did a few searches and was unable to find a thread containing information about what you actually need to record a bass solo onto a computer. I'm not looking to do more than just record my bass, no bands, and little or no eq tweaking.

So, what equiptment do I need to do so??? I don't have a lot of money, so cheap reccomendations would help most.

Thanks,
    ~Ryan

2. alapantera

alapantera

Mar 22, 2004
    Wisconsin
    well, for starters, if your computer doesn't have 1/4" inputs you'll need a 1/4" to 1/8" adaptor that you can pick up at your local radioshack. then you can plug into the line in/mic slot on your soundcard.

if you didn't want to spend any money you can use the default "sound recorder" program that is built into windows (assuming that's what you're using). this will get you the most basic kind of recording, 1 track... 1 take. if you're looking to do more than that there are a few rather affordable and even free programs that would do a pretty good job. unfortunately off the top of my head i can't think of any.

3. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Audacity is a great FREE sound recording and editing app.

4. togo002

togo002

Jul 19, 2005
    Sony Soundforge 7 or 8 is a great tool for recording single track stuff and for beginners at recording who wants a multiple track recorder i recommend Sonic Foundry Acid Pro and Cakewalk Guitar Studio or if you want a more professional one use Nuendo or Cubase or Protools

5. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    Cakewalk XL 2.2 and you have a profesional home studio. :bassist:

6. how do you get good drum tracks? or funky background sounds?

7. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m
    Do a google search for "free drum loops", and you'll be able to find a site(s) to get all the drum loops you need.