Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How to record to computer.

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by rollo47, May 3, 2003.

1. rollo47

rollo47 Wraggotry in Motion

Nov 12, 2002
    Perth, Australia
    I was wondering how to record onto my computer. I *think* I have the right adapter to plug my lead into the microphone port on my computer, and I tried doing it using the sound recorder program that comes with windows but it didn't work. Do I need a special program to do this?

2. You need to come up with a bit more info such as windows version, soundcard and so...

I always use a small program called Goldwave, do a google search and you'll get to download a shareware copy. Works fine for me. Also, record from amp to microphone, you'll get better sound (if you have a decent mic.) I plug into a powered mixer, connected to a subwoofer, record with a old Apple PowerMac microphone (Help! Fruitcake alert!), and this is what I get:

3. rollo47

Nov 12, 2002
    Perth, Australia
    I'm not sure what my soundcard is... how do I find this out? I think it's an Avance AC97 or something..... my computer is running XP Professional..... anyway, thanks for your help.

4. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Look or search in the "Recording Gear and Equipment" forum here at TalkBass. This topic has been discussed numerous times. You'll learn a lot from those guys (and gals).

jd

5. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Wrong forum.

Moved.:)

6. fender58

fender58 Guest

Sep 8, 2000
    Southern California
    Hi, I too would like to record straight to my IMac 266mhz with 96megs of RAM. I just got a Art Tube MP so I have the input. What software could I find that is free or share ware? I don't care if it's a great sound as long as it's "smooth" and "skip" free. I am trying to use Audacity and I get it to record but not without "dropouts" or "skips". The quality is just fine for what I am doing right now.
    Thanks for anybody's help with this.
    Danny

7. Oki, now go into the Control Panel (start menu > settings > control panel), right click on the sounds and audio devices and select properties, choose the Audio page and check wich one is selected for recording. At least for my SBPCI 128 that did the trick. Then any recording app should get the signal from the mic input.

Edit: click the volume buton to check wich input is selected...silly me..

8. rollo47

Nov 12, 2002
    Perth, Australia
    thanks guys, it seems to be working properly now.

9. Look into audio editors on Harmony Central's computer music section or Tucows and try out a few of the downloads. Common editors include Cool Edit 2000(shareware), Sound Forge, Wavelab. This will allow you to capture the audio as you play it in through the line-in socket of your computer. They also allow you to edit them and apply some EQ and basic effects.

For more tips try www.computermusic.co.uk and their magazine of the same name. Their tips section is very comprehensive. They also offer a music sequencer for free, for no money, and at no cost at all. Complete with audio editor and free VST software synths.

Check back soon for a FAQ on this topic in this forum....

Mike