How to record vocals

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Vorago, Sep 7, 2005.

1. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    We're recording a new demo these weeks, and I want to know some tips n tricks to record the vocals.

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Sing in tune. If it's not in tune, re-record it.
  3. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Cool, I didn't know that.

:rolleyes: :D

I meant, are there tricks, like effects, to make the voice sound fuller etc..I hear about adding some delay?
  4. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    How about singing the same part two or three times. Keep one as your master vocal and use the others lower down in the mix to give it more depth. If you're working in a computer-based audio environment, you can also take the original vocal track, double it and apply a few changes, such as adjusting the EQ on the copy. You could even move the second copy very fractionally out of phase to give a subtle chorus effect although, if the source is identical, it has to be a very slight nudge other wise it starts sounding very wacky!

5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Those are all good ones, although depending on the tune, just a simple short reverb can often sound good as well. Also, delay is often used to give the effect of doubling, or giving the singer that Elvis-like slapback sound. Experiment with the effects a little. Ask the engineer what he thinks might sound good, too.

The thing you should be doing now is to study different vocals and listen closely to the effects used on them. Check out tunes that resemble what you'll be recording and try to duplicate the effects you like.
  6. nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    Use the best condensor mic you can get your hands on, record flat with a touch of compression. Don't put effects on the vocal track - add them later as desirable.
  7. + also use a room that sounds good. If youre having problems with the sound, try a different room.
  8. Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    just a slight bit of reverb seems to "smooth" the vocals out a bit.
  9. use of a pop filter is very important...and very easy to make...

use nylon stocking stretched over a bent wire coat hanger and position it in front of the mic...distance depends on the mic.