how to rehair???

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by _alex_, Jan 23, 2005.

1. _alex_

Feb 29, 2004
    Old Europe:)

is there any site with detailed info on how to rehair a bow?
    or anyone here can explain?

ps:need help here :confused:

pls any inputs would be great...
  2. I don't know of any sites that shows the details of how to rehair a bow. However, there are two very reasonably priced books available on the subject. The books are the Violin Maker's Notebook by Henry Stobel, and Violin Bow Rehairing and Repair by the late Harry Wake. The Wake book is somewhat dated, but quite adequate for the beginner.

However, don't expect to read any book and become an instant bow rehairing expert. When I was first learning the art, my mentor told me that I would get the hang of it after I had finished my first hundred or so bow rehairs (and breaking two or three while in the learning process). It turned out my mentor's assessment was quite accurate.
  3. A few years ago, I bought both books, a "bow rehair jig," and other tools for the job. I tried it 5-6 times on two different bows. I JUST COULDN'T DO IT!!! Rehairing a bow was the first do-it-yourself project that I ever gave up on. The lesson learned was simply there are some things that should be left to the pros....

Anyone want to buy a slightly used bow jig?
  4. _alex_

Feb 29, 2004
    Old Europe:)
    thanks for the info :)
    i thought it was not that hard :crying:
  5. If I recall correctly (and it's been several years), taking the bow apart, cutting the plugs and getting the hair tied were fairly easy things to do. But combing the wet hair evenly brought me tremendous grief. Nowadays, every time I look at how evenly tense my professionally rehaired bow is, I think about how horribly uneven it used to be!

But hey, that was just me. Perhaps others have had more luck with this...
  6. maplespruce

Apr 29, 2006
    I know this post is from a while ago, but if you still have it, how much do you want for it?
  7. uptonbass

uptonbass Proprietor, Upton Bass String Instrument Co.

Oct 8, 2002
    Mystic CT