How to relic nickel bass hardware?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by light blue bass, Sep 4, 2020.

1. How can I relic nickel bass hardware from a Squire CV Jazz Bass? I'm hoping to use vinegar. Will that work?
    Lets me know if you have tried this and how I should do it!
    Thanks!

2. Arie X

Arie X

Oct 19, 2015
    i have a little bit of a jewelry background. i would suspend the item over an amount of red wine vinegar in a sealed mason jar and let the fumes work on it. if that doesn't give you what you want then you can escalate to diluted glacial acetic acid again in a closed jar. and if that doesn't work to your liking, you'll have to escalate to liver of sulfur. you'll have to break the hardware down and remove plastic items like tuner knob spacers, etc...

the word that will get the best search results is "patina" and there's numerous darkening products out there. if your hardware is lacquered, this will have to be removed even when using simple vinegar.

be careful with your chemistry though. vinegar is pretty benign, but the glacial acetic acid, liver of sulfur, and many of the commercial products are not. take the necessary precautions. but you may just get your result with the vinegar and you're good to go.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2020
    aiden Fiori likes this.
  3. Would it be bad just to soak the parts in vinegar?

4. mdogs

mdogs Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Constant state of flux
    I’ve used muratic acid. But, you have to be very careful, fumes are bad and it works pretty quickly. Don’t put the parts in the acid, put the parts in their own container, put that container In another container that contains the acid, seal that container and let the fumes work. Plenty of YouTube videos to show you how To do it.

aiden Fiori likes this.
  5. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    You could always blacken it. Blackened nickel silver looks pretty tasty.

AEVAREX likes this.
  6. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    I'd just leave it outside in the rain and sun. That will age it pretty quickly.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 13, 2021