how to remove an old sticker? help needed

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by steviecsg, Jan 2, 2004.

1. steviecsg

Aug 16, 2002
    i acquired a bass from the 80s. natural finish. at the back there is a sticker that apparantly has been there for years. digging with my fingernails hardly helps.

can anyone recommend a solution to effectively remove the sticker without damaging the natural lacqured finish?

2. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    First you need to make sure that the solvent
    will be able to soak in through the layers of
    paper to the adhesive.

Remove as much of the very first layer as possible.
    Use Duct Tape to press on the top layer
    and help pull it off, if necessary.
    Tape should only be pressed to adhere to the sticker.

Then use Naptha or Mineral Spirits and allow
    to soak in.

Use a soft cloth and rub out the junk.

Repeat solvent soak and rub as much as needed.

This method has worked for me many times.
  3. windex works for takin stickers and tape off other things but i dont know if it will damage the finish or not i am sure someone would know but i dont see how it could because i have used it on wood stuff that had been finished and it didnt damage it i dont see how guitar finish would be any different. oh and u have to let the windex soak a little and then rub it off 5 min shoudl do it and repeat it a couple times as much as needed.
  4. [​IMG]

Greek Cousin: Hey, anybody got some Windex? I could use it for this humongous wart on my hand!

Wife: I think we're out of windex, but here's some car polish....

Greek Cousin: That'll be just fine, thanks!

Wife: (whispering to husband): I didn't know Greeks used Windex on their skin!

Husband (whispering back): Yeah, they do. It's a well known fact.

Wife: (whispering) Well, from now on, every time we use windex, we'll have to think of THAT.

Greek Cousin: Windex will cure for everything from psoriasis to poison ivy.
    It'll sure put a shine on your shoe!
    There's nothing Windex can't do.
  5. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I usually scrape the top layers of paper off with a dunlop orange .60 pick, then use goof off, or goo gone to get the sticky off. Works pretty well. Hasn't damaged a finish yet.
  6. floydman

floydman Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2002
    southeast CT
    there's this stuff called goo gone that works really well with most things like this. on the bottle it says it contains citrus and petroleum distillates or something. definetly try this stuff.
  7. Tip (that ive mentioned before): For whole stickers, grab the hairdryer. Heat the edge of the sticker and begin pulling slowly. Then keep heating in the area that is still stuck. Pull slowly and evenly. If you feel the sticker getting hot (or your fingers!) pull it away for a minute and keep going.

Wash down with a cloth and Mr Sheen spray.

8. steviecsg

Aug 16, 2002
    thanks for the input, will let u know the results soon!

keep groovin'
  9. HooBass

May 27, 2003
    My mom gave me this tip (no, she's not a bassist, but she heard about removing stickers from furniture, price tags from items, etc).

I just skimmed the other replies so apologies if this is redundant.

Peel the sticker off as best you can (I typically only get the "outside" of it off, leaving a layer of fuzzy paper and glue). I don't use any tool (e.g., razor blade) to try to scrape the rest off.

Then, apply a liberal amount of peanut butter. Rub the peanut peanut butter into the sticker like applying car wax on a car (circular motion). Slowly, the paper should come off and mix with the peanut butter.

- Don't use chunky
    - I did this on a fairly old guitar that was already scratched up. I didn't detect any new scratches, but in fairness I might not have been able to tell. There were no scratches where the sticker *had* been.
    - I applied about a tablespoon of peanut butter to a circular sticker about four inches in diameter (Satriani Surfing with the Alien the previous owner had put on the back of the guitar).

Talk soon,
  10. pbd

pbd Commercial User

Jul 17, 2003
    Metro Detroit
    owner Procables N Sound
    WD-40 works great. test it first. It takes stickers off just about everything. It also takes road tar off your car and bug guts too. Put some on a cloth and rub the sticker area and just like the peanut butter (oil) it will work up the sticky.
  11. Windex contains alcohol and is not good for the finish on any musical instrument.

12. WD-40 leaves a greasy film that you may not be able to see/feel. I suggest avoiding using this.