1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How to remove dried crazy glue ?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by ThomasG, Aug 29, 2007.

1. ThomasG

ThomasG

Jul 20, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    A few years ago I got a little "crazy glue" near my volume knobs, it is raised and you can see it. Does anyone have a tip on what chemical will remove it, while not ruining the finish/paint etc. Maybe I should throw it away !

2. Throw what away?

3. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2006
    There is no solvent for dried CA glue. That is the bad news. The good news is removing it is not hard to do if you are very handy. The process is the same for doing a drop fill when fixing a finish. The glue is filed, scraped, sanded, and then buffed out. When finished, there will be no trace of the repair. For more details search drop fill with the TB search function.

4. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    What?!?!

Acetone will remove it (nail polish remover is a good source), but test it on a hidden part of the finish first. Also, most hobby stores offer CA remover.

5. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Acetone will eat away at most finishes. I would scrape it off gently with a single edged razor blade, then wetsand with 600 grit and buff and polish it. Take all the electronics off it first, though. A buffing wheel can be hell on your volume pots ;)

Actually I'm lying...I would just leave it. I've got a similar lump of crazy glue on my upright that's been there for a year.